My Tropical Tanks

sandy

:D Just caught this thread Sands,and yoor tanks look great.Sorry to hear though that you lost the parent Angelfish. They were so pretty.Are you using anything special in the tanks to achieve this all-higher lighting/CO2/etc? Great looking!! :exactly

Thanks Annette. Yes its sand and you cant hoover it like you would gravel. I go over it in a figure of 8 motion to try and make the dirt rise off the bottom. You need to keep the vac about an inch or so above the sand or you get lots of sand go up. Now and again i run through it with my finger so theres no build up of anything bad underneath.

:D It is a bit more work,and you do have to stir the sand on a regular basis because it doesn't take long at all for it to get nasty if you don't,but all in all,I love my sand Tropical tanks. :D

Yeah if you leave it too long you get algae growing on it and on the glass under the sand line. My plec loves burrowing in it though so going back to gravel would mean an unhappy plec.

• 1 month later...