My New Fry

JenW

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys :D And Sharon, it's going to be even more exciting when I set up the 40 gallon for them :D They've outgrown this tank so it's time to move them into something bigger. I just wish my outdoor tub would hurry up and cycle - it's still showing high ammonia but I only set up the new filter about 4 weeks ago. Then I'll actually have some room for them :rolleyes:

:) I was just sitting remembering little Ton when he was that small. :D I looked yours over again,and just can't believe how different they all look. When I had Ton,I definately knew that he was a Red Oranda.Your way is so much more exciting! :exactly

I'm following these babies with great curiosity too :D . They really are a mixed bag. They will eventually love getting into that tub, hope it hurries and cycles soon for you Jen :)

Me too but I'll put some of my bigger fish into the tub - the pump's 1500 gph and would likely suck these little guys in :D The ammonia has finally gone down as have the nitrites and i'm showing 30ppm nitrates now (20ppm out of the tap though) - so it should be ready in a weeks time (will have to do 100% waterchange on it first) :D

I'll look forward to posting some pics once they in it :D

PS. Sharon - i would love to have some orandas in there but don't think i will somehow. They're definitely my favourite fish - especially with those faces :heart

I was just doing a waterchange on the fry tank and noticed one of the little fellows has bulging eyes.... I hope this is early telescope development and not popeye :yikes Although his eyes look healthy so I take this as a good sign :D

My older 3 still don't have telescope eyes but are starting to develop them but they may be late developers....

Here's a pic I took of him:

DSCN1936.jpg

:D

:D That is a telescope eye baby as surely as the sun is rising now somewhere on this planet! My Goodness how cute is that :heart What a beautiful baby he is Jen. Wonderful!

How many weeks old are they now (when the eyes develop like this?) I'll bet you have an oranda in there too :) Tele-oranda?

:wub: Now that is one adorable pic there Jen. I don't know what's bigger,the belly or the eyes. :rofl3 I think that this is the first tele baby that I've ever seen,and I am inlove....What a cutie pie!! Are the others the same colors still? I wanna see more bellies and eyes! :rofl

:D He is a funny looking little fella but I love his telescope eyes :D

Some have turned completely white now - they look like little ghosts while half of them are still fry colour... They are growing bigger each day though :D

There's 2 (or is it 3? :hmm ) batches in there - some hatched on 12 August, then others hatched on 14 August.... So they're just over 3 months :D

Thanks BBB2 :D

Well it's been 2 weeks and they've grown some in that time so I thought I'd take more pics tonight :D These guys really have terrific personalities and they're so comfortable with me sticking my hands in the tank to clean... I usually get 11 little mouths sucking at my skin.... and I think they really dig each other because at night, they all huddle together to go to sleep, very cute :heart

Here's 2 of my more adventurous ones - they're usually always dancing in front of the glass

2411063.jpg

Definitely some calico's coming through

241106g.jpg

241106gg.jpg

Here's another one of my little (and only) telescope

241106tele.jpg

Here's a little group shot

241106group.jpg

These guys always shove themselves under the bubble wand

2411064.jpg

This little fellow is developing a high dorsal - I think he must be my big boy Chester's offspring

2411069.jpg

And one last group shot :D

2411066.jpg

Ahh they are all SO cute!!!!!!! :heart

You're so lucky that you're able to look after them so well. If my fish laid eggs they wouldn't have a chance!

They are absolutely adorable. i love their cute colourful patterns.

a nice little bunch of 'mutts" :D

Just wondering what the official word for mixed fish is. I mean dogs are mongrels....is there a fish mix word?

Adoreable pics again :D !

Thanks guys :D And Imogen, I'm not sure what the official term is but i've always hear the word mutt bandied about (most likely here at my place :rofl )... It'd be interesting to find out :hmm

And MrB - it really is exciting raising fry although I don't know how i'd go if it was a larger number, I think it'd be too hard.. (so many waterchanges) :D

I took a short video of my guys tonight and thought it shows how they're growing - especially when compared to the first ones. Still a bunch of short a_ _ es, but they're growing a bit :D

S'cuse the poop - would you believe that's just 2 hours after I sucked up their previous lot? :o

ah they just get cuter every time i see them!!! they are adorable, like a bunch of children running around all crazy at playtime!!

Love all the different colours. what a beautiful variety you have. they are wonderful :heart