My New Fry

JenW

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't hope for it too soon Fred - these little fella's are hard work :o Seriously though, it's great fun and amazing to watch them grow :D

I thought I'd upload a few more pics I took earlier although I'll only post 4 for now :D

This little fella was bottom resting with clamped fins on the weekend but has since impoved enormously:

littlefella.jpg

Here's a couple of strange little guys - looks like they're both turning into calicos and I only have 2 calicos. My calico ranchu and my calico ryukin/fantail.

2fryintak2.jpg

Here's a tank shot to show how they've grown

fryintank.jpg

And one more group shot

fryintank3.jpg

:D

They look great Jen :heart . I believe breeding gf is a hard work and need experience. I also believe after a couple of tries, everything will be ok. This is what happen when I was breeding betta and platy. No success during the first or second tried, but next time almost everything went smooth. But I think breeding gf is harder than breeding betta or platy. :D

Aww Jen, I just watched the videos...I still am reminded of brightly colored little Christmas baubles- because they are so shiny :) I had a smile on my face watching those. It is so interesting seeing how theyve grown and now some of the colors are changing. In picture 2 I swear the first calico looks ryukin and the whiter baby behind has a ranchu face dont you think? They are very very lovely :heart .

Did I ever tell you I lost all the baby fry we had, long before kokos. And then the Mom. I still have Braveheart the father(calico telescope). I know how hard it is to keep so many fry so healthy this far along. You have done really well and it looks like they all look good and strong even the little cutie that was bottom sitting- who I agree could well be oranda! Wow have your adult fish been busy :D !!!!

:D Wow Jen,they are growing by leaps and bounds.I find it amazing just how different they look from each other in subtle ways.I really can not wait to see the end results.It should be quite interesting. :yeah:

Great job that you're doing! :heart

Thanks guys :D And I too can't wait to see how they turn out. Some of them are starting to show some good colour while the others (bigger ones) still remain fry colour... I think that's the interesting thing about these fry, there's a few different types there. I too see a little ryukin hump forming on some of them but that could change over time :D

Imogen - how many fry did you have?

I took some closeups of the colour changes - they're not the best pics :D

calicofry.jpg

2fryintank.jpg

2fryfrombehind.jpg

fryfront.jpg

That is whats interesting! They are all very different. These pics show that clearly. I wonder how many Mom fish there were..I remember there was some confusion about that. Have you decided that or will you have to wait till the fry show their heritage more clearly :D

As for my fry, there were 2 batches from the same Mom. At least 200 eggs and half hatched. I had no idea what to do ..I knew they were eggs and I didn't want them eaten (I knew that much.. :( )and so I moved the parents to a tub. Then she sprayed eggs in there and I had to move them again...Then I got some bad advice telling me not to change the water for one month :( and the babies would do fine. When I saw they were not doing fine I moved the strongest to a fry tank....there were so many sick ones and I had large bowls set up for different kinds of symptoms.. its horrible remembering. Thats when I found kokos and I managed to save 3 till about 4 weeks. But they had had such a bad start in life with me that they didn't stand a chance. I lost them all :cry1 . I still feel bad about it. If it ever happens again, I shall know better of course and have you and others here to consult :)

Thanks Wessie :D

That's so sad Imogen :( I remember when I found my very first fry outside in the plant tub and Andrea gave me some good pointers. Then it became easier but I think out of every batch, there will always be weak ones. It's just so sad that not even one survived but there will be other times :heart I know that I have 2 females that have definitely spawned, Moo who I lost - she was a big telescope and Tumbi, my calico ranchu - but there may be others :D

So it will be a wait and see. Although I'm seeing definite telescope, slight ryukin and mixed ranchu in there :thud

Thanks Sharon :D But unfortunately 2 of those buggers have red fins/rot so I've been medicating at 25% dose... My single tailed one is losing his fin so I'm a bit worried... :o

They've grown even more this week so I think I'll need to take some more pics - a few of them are now white but I still can't figure out what they are :D

Well, they're doing fabulously now. I 1/4 dosed with Triple Sulfa for 3 days (in a separate tub) and both are doing well. Tails are growing back and they're getting bigger.

I'll fire up the camera and take some pics of them as of today :D

Wow, how those little things have grown!! And the color of that particularly red one in the middle - looks like neon pink... :lol1 Maybe a calico trying to come through? :unsure:

I think there may be some budding calico's coming through although the colour is turning more white on most of them now :D

Anyhow - here's some updated pics of them...

November5.jpg

November4.jpg

November.jpg

November2.jpg

november3.jpg

DSCN1919.jpg

Please excuse the poop - this is just after 2 hours :yikes

:o Gosh Jen,It's amazing how everytime I see these little buggers,and see how fast they are changing.Those last two pics of the babies are getting quite interesting,and I can't wait for the next changes.It's so exciting,isn't it? :D