Skiddish Fish

Carole

My fish has been displaying some odd behavior lately. Around evening time before he goes to sleep, my fish Sylvester gets skiddish and twitchy like he scares himself. He has always done this a little but he is doing it more recently, and doing it more extremely (yestorday he darted across the tank and scratched against the glass and gravel). I have read that it could be a sign of problems but I am not sure what problems.

I have a 20 gal tank running 1 year

I have a topfin20 HOB filter

I change 40-50% of water every 2 or 3 weeks

2 fantails in the tank: Sylverster- 3in and a new fish 2.5in

I use Prime to condition the water

no medications

I new fish 1.5 weeks ago. She looks very healthy.

I feed them mostly goldfish "crisps", some veggies and omega3

There is some white fungus on the edge of my tank hood and on my air pump but nothing weird in the water

I will have water params tomorrow

in general:

ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 40 (before changing water)

pH 8.4 but it has been a little lower recently

Some other recent things that are concerning. Today I notices a red mark under Sylvester's head, like maybe a scratch or something. In general his color is a little pale (he is an orange fish). The new fish is hyper and has kept him from sleeping a lot. The pH is a little lower than usual but I will check that again tomorrow. It has been a hot summer and we have no air conditioner, so the tank got up to 80+ frequently. In addition to a warm tank my air pump had been dying and wasn't making as much bubbles as it should have and I have seen Sylvester suck at the surface (yestorday I fixed the air problem and it is doing better now). I had another fish just die a month ago (he wasn't very healthy, he was a year old and wasn't growing when Sylvester was thriving). I think Sylvester was upset over that (can a goldfish be upset?). He has always done the yawning thing, but that is sometimes a sign of parasites? Thats all I can think of right now.

He eats well and is responsive. No bottom sitting. His poo is normal. I want to know in general what twitchyness is a symptom of. It has gotten a worse lately like I said but it is only at night before he sleeps, during the day he is normal.

Any thoughts?

Did you quarantine the new fish? If not then it probably brought a parasite in. The usual one is gill flukes and with him scratching and yawning then it seems likely.

Do you have aquarium salt?

You will need to add it at a level teaspoon per gallon pre-dissolved to get to .1%, then twice more 12 hours apart to bring it up to .3%.

Keep it like that for two weeks and keep doing regular water changes, remembering to recalculate the salt you take out.

IF the fish are under 2 inches excluding tail then its better to use a medication instead.

Water parameters were measured today:

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 40

I got contradicting results from my pH tests:

6.4 (test strips)

7.6 [or off the scale] (test tube kit)

Could my fish have had a parasite the entire time I've had him? In general he hasn't been bothered in the past except for the yawning. He started being a little twitchy at night several months ago. Will a salt solution get rid of the parasite (if that is what it is)?

when i only had lumpy (an oranda) and sharky (a fantail) and sharky died, lumpy wasn't herself for a couple months.

hope this is useful. might be a parasite. if so, i dont think that salt would remove it but it would help the fish some. i would try to watch for more symptoms and use meds once i knew what it was.

However salt might work. just try salt for now.

The red mark under Sylvester's head is getting worse and he is getting more sluggish. He still eats well though. I bought some medication- Jungle Lifeguard All in One. It is supposed to treat everything imaginable and is ok to use as a preventative. After just losing a fish I don't want to see this one get worse. If I use the meds should I also use salt?

I had a third fish almost a year ago that was very sick and did not live very long. I wonder if it had a parasite and it gave to my tank?

Sounds like you do and the first thing I would do is try and get your hands on some Parasite Clear by Jungle. It's a good blanket parasitic treatment. Sometimes parasites can live for years in a tank but the moment the immunity of your fish is compromised, that's when they attack...

So I would go with the parasite clear and excellent water - this will be hopefully all they need.

Yawning at times isn't necessarily a problem but when it happens with some frequency, this is when it's time to worry as it indicates something is irritating the gills :)

Thanks for the replies

I already started with the LifeGuard meds so I will finish with them (5 days) before trying something else. I think the lack of O2 over the summer may have done it. Can Gill Flukes be life threatening?

Absolutely, because they can cause a fish to bleed to death via haemmorhages in the gills. Can you check the colour of the gills? You can do this by holding the fish just under the waterline and watching as they expand to take air. If they're pale, then this is a good indication that it's gill flukes (or some other parasite). Other causes of yawning could be bacterial gill disease but this is usually precipitated by parasites.

His gills look pretty red, almost purpley.

He is acting really well today and is still eating well. Last night when I was changing the water he got really skiddish and made me worried. The red spot under his face is getting worse though. The other fish has started picking at is so I may need to separate them.

Has anyone had any experience with this medicine I am using:

http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=TT102

I've not heard of this product before.

If the gills are a nice meaty red then they're healthy :)

I would try and get some medicated food ie. Medigold from www.goldfishconnection or else there's another available through pet stores in the States.

It sounds as though what you have is a blanket treatment but I wonder if it's more of a preventative... I would still try medicating with parasite clear as it also contains an antibiotic and go with medicated food. If the red spots are getting worse then this is cause for concern...

Thanks for the help

Should I use Medicated food while I use the other meds in the water? I have some anti-bacterial food already. I will get some ParasiteClear and use it when I finish this treatment.

Here are two photos of the spot on Sylvester:

http://www.pbase.com/caroleannie123/sylvester_spot

There is only one spot; it gets bigger every day (first noticed it 2 days ago) and is swollen.

That picture is excellent Carole and I don't think it's caused by parasites. It looks like bacterial infection so I would start to feed the medicated food asap.

As the gills are a nice meaty red this is a good sign so it may not be parasites and judging by the pic - this is the same type of red mark I've had on fish with bacterial infections. I know it wasn't parasites because I scraped my ill fish and the slide came up clean.

What kind of medicated food do you have?

Also, what does the poop look like?

I have "Jungle Anti-Bacterial Medicated Fish Food for Internal and External Infections".

http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=JF168

Is it ok to feed this to him while the meds are in the water?

His poop has been really short and stringy, pale brown.

Would a bacterial infection explain the yawning and the skiddishness?