Water Changes

Tanya_woz_ere

Guest marcojv

If the filter is an internal model then I certainly wouldn't recommend it, you should unplug it before you work on the tank, just to play it safe.

Guest stevensp
When doing water changes do you leave the filter on? or should you switch it off?

When i was doing a water change 2day i kept movinh the filter down so it was still in the water?

Is that dangerous?

Any replys would really help. thanks guys :happydance:lol

i suppose u have a internal filter since u said u keep moving it down.. i think it's better to switch it off first before cleaning as to save u the trouble of moving it down :D

Guest gldfshkpr

What type of filter do you have, Tanya_woz_ere? If it's a HOB (hang on back) you can usually get away with keeping it running. This is preferred. This way, the waste from your filter doesn't get backwashed into the tank. The filter inlet tube should be as far to the bottom of the tank as it can be. Most filters have extra (tube) sections to compensate for deep tanks. It is highly recommended to unplug heaters, but not filters. Just make sure the water level stays high enough so the filter doesn't take in air. I hope that makes sense?

:rolleyes:

Hiya...yes it is a hob and i understand you.

Id just like to say that i love your website! its brilliaint! i love you fish and tank also :happydance

good luck on the new stainless steal tank 2. it will look really nice when you have finished with it. are you going 2 have gravel? or keep it bare like your other 1?

With my internal filter in my 20 gallon, i turn it off. It will only be off for about 5 minutes, thats ok.

But, today, i bought a HOB for my 55 gallon.

So, yeah, turn it off, same with everything else in your tank that is electrical.

~Nick

Tanya, im confused, a HOB means it is not in the water.. its like a fountain. It sucks the water up through a pipe, and spits it out.

You cannot keep moving it down.. this would mean you dont have a HOB

~Nick

Archived