Bad Water

Lynn

:huh: I need a way to keep these bad levels down between water changes. I need a safe and easy way. The ammonia is up too. I am doing a 30% water change every other day, I can not keep doing that. Maybe twice a week, but not four to five times a week. I didn't know to do this test and the tank has been up for years. They looked OK and happy. Now, I know and I cann't get then down. I will do a comple water in the spring. I just CAN NOT do it now. I will check the levels again now that I have change 30% of the water for the umptith time in the last week. The levels are better, but not good. Still in the stress level. I have them out of the danger level. I feel so bad that they were in such bad water. POOR BABYS Mammy is so sorry. :cry1

The only safe way to keep your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate down is to keep doing partial water changes as and when needed. I know it's hard work (I have a 60 gallon tank where the filter crashed after medicating and I've had to do a 30% water change every day for th epast week!) but it will be worth it when you ave healthy happy fish. Are you using a gravel vacuum? This will help eliminate the ammonia etc.

The only other thing you can do is reduce your feeding substantially which will cut the waste the fish produce so make it easier for you to catch up with your water quality. I've only been feeding mine for 2 minutes every other day while my tank is going thourhg it's mini cycle. It will help speed things up. ONce you egt the water parameters correct though, slowly increase the food as a sudden increase will cause an ammonia spike again.

You shouldn't ever have to do 100% water changes. Read up on the process of cycling so you're sure not to crash your cycle once you get it established.

If you can get some ammolock to protect your fish from the ammonia and some salt to protect them from the nitrites, then twice a week water changes should be enough.

Sorry you're so stressed. I know it can be a bit overwhelming when you learn how much attention fish can require.

Archived