"winterizing"

froggydella

Earlier this summer we spent a weekend setting up Mom's new pond, While none of us really know that much about pond's It just dawned on me that soon it would be cold..Next thing you know there will be snow on the ground again. :krazy:

What Mom want's to know is what she is to do with it for the winter months? Here's a few tid bit's of info that I know about the pond.

-It's been up and running since late Spring.

-It's really only for looks, Not fish. Although there is a family of frog's living in it now.

-It's roughly around 40gal or so, With a good sized waterfall. Maybe about 2-3Ft. Deep.

-They are running a pretty big filter on it. (I think it came with the pond kit.)

What would they have to do to get it ready for the winter? When? All that good stuff. Im clueless about pond's and this is my parent's first pond so they are still learning also. Any suggestion's would be awesome, Mom would appciate it. :D

:heart

If there is no fish in it, then just leave it really.. the frogs will go to the bottom to hibernate (like fish) if its deep enough, or they will go off and find a place.

I'd put the filter on its lowest setting, so its not too lively, just to keep it from freezing.

Thanks, Lucy :)

So she doesn't have to cover it up or anything like that? The pond isn't that deep really, Im kinda worried about those froggie's. They have alway's had Toads out there but this is the first in year's that we have seen Frog's around, And these guy's are BIG! I wonder if they could be caught and put in the shed in a tank for the winter??

With a 40 gallon pond in Wisconsin I wouldn't run it at all. Take the pump and filter out clean them up so that they are ready for spring and store them in the garage or maybe in the house. You might also want to clean out the pond, unless you are that worried about the frogs. The pond is probably going to freeze solid though and I am not sure if the frogs can come back after being froze solid? Anyone know?

Scott

Thanks Scott :) Our winter's have been fairly mild these last couple year's, But that sounds like a good idea.

There's no way she could heat it through the winter?

The Frog's I'd like to take out, But don't know much about "Wild Frog's" Im just worried about where they will go come winter? :unsure:

LOL, Arghhhh I know Lucy. But I just have a soft spot for them. ;) I want the same 3 to come back next year. I thought if they were in something through the winter they would for sure be back to put in the pond next Spring. Hmmmm, I guess I can leave them alone?!!! :rolleyes:

aahhh what you could dooo.. is research the type of frog and see what sort of things they do through winter, like whether they burry themselves or find a hidyhole or something then make sure you have places like that around the garden. :D

Good Idea, Lucy :) I think I'll do that while Im sitting here. I think I can remember what they look like for the most part.

The pond is surronded by a lot of bigger rocks, Then as it get's closer to the pond the rocks are more like river stone. I'll see what I can dig up here.

Thanks, Hun!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Whewww! I have pic's of the froggie's!!! :D We just got back from our Vacation Sunday night, Now that I have the house all back in order and chores done, I will upload the pic's tonight and post. Hopefully someone will be able to indetify them. I have never seen these type at Mom's before. There are a few BIG sucker's too! :)

I guess she had planned on a heater for the winter, But she's thinking of maybe taking everything out and winterizing it.

Dells, get on eBay and get a submersible heater...... I think www.doctorsfostersmith.com sells em too. Then get a kitty litter pan (or something of the like) and put plain ol' cat litter (the crushed clay, no scents or ANYthing else) in the tray, then put that in the bottom of the pond. The frogs will burrow under it and hibernate. You don't need to feed them.

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

If you ever plan on getting fish, try to plan for winter well ahead of time, otherwise it sounds like your pretty well covered lol. Trust me, You dont want three or more fish tanks running in your bedroom durring winter lol (I am building 1 big tank and ditching the rest eventualy)! All the info I have has said a pond should be at least 4 feet to be safe for fish habitation during winter, and even at that most fancy varieties should be housed indoors durring winter. I dont have any experience with pond heaters though. . .

Edited by FinnyFinnedFriend

Thanks, Erika And Finny :)

Mom was going out today actually to do some shopping and was going to check the Petstore's for Heater's, I'll let her know to check E Bay as well.

Should she leave everything else in place for the winter then? Pump and all that stuff? Should she cover it at all?

Here's the pic's of the Frog's she has living in there, There are a lot more than we thought. Last Saturday Jason and I counted 6 of them. 4 of them being pretty good sized. I caught one, But only for a split second. Slippery little bugger's!! LOL.......

pondfrogs005.jpg

pondfrogs002.jpg

pondfrogs003.jpg

They're cuuute :heart

I found this link: http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/wifrog/account.htm

in here: http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/wifrog/frog.htm

I think it might be the bull frog, the last one.. or the green frog? ..maybe.. :D It has that green mouth bit.

Edited by x-Lucy-Fish-x