Eggfish

tropicana

umm.. 0? :) I've never seen one in the flesh, but then i am in one of the worlds most deprived goldfish areas, even though we are so close to S.E Asia and the like.

I think I've pretty much seen most other goldfish varieties, but have yet to come across an eggfish..

Well, what kind of eggfish do u mean? Ranchu, lionhead, bubble-eye, and a number of other goldfish varietes are classified to have egg-shaped bodies. Real eggfish would be hard to find, and it seems like the more popular kind is now the phoenix eggfish which is a wen-less long-tailed eggfish. Check out goldfishnet.com auction, usually there are a couple of phoenix eggfishes there for sale.

This is "Eros". He is about 7 inches from nose to tail. He won the Phoenix class at the nationals last weekend.

There were 5 at the show. 3 were Blue Phoenix babies. They are around. You just have to keep your eyes and your wallet open.

post-27-1157028240_thumb.jpg

post-27-1157028289_thumb.jpg

Having a long tail on a wenless, dorsal-less fish, as I understand it, harkens back hundreds of years to different conformations of goldfish. There are some who are breeding to bring back some of the older breeds. Phoenix tailed egg fish are a representation of such a fish.

Until recently, they have not be particularly popular - and most commercial breeders will not produce fish that do not sell well. Also - the long, fine tail makes the fish far more delicate than it short tailed relatives, the Lionhead and Ranchu - also a reason for large quantity breeders to avoid it.

As I had it explained to me, a Phoenix tailed Egg fish cannot have any wen at all. A slight thickening of the head skin is acceptable. If there is a wen, the fish is categorized as a "Shukin" or a long-tailed Lionhead - considered a "cross" by some, and not a representation of a separate breed.

Any fish with such a fine tail requires extra care in water quality. It does not do well in most pond situations, needs slightly warmer living conditions, does not withstand winter well, and needs pristine water. OIn my experience, any ammonia, nitrite or even lower nitrate values have extreme detrimental effects on the fish's tail and general health.

Archived