Sign in to follow this  
SSJChar

My 30gallon Tank Broke

so i was sitting next to the tank then suddenly i hear this rushing water sound. the tank is right by the basement and you can hear the water pipes, but this sounded abit different, then i realized that the tank was making the sound. i run to the other side and see all this water gushing from underneath the tank at a rate of around 10-15 gallons per minute. i run to the washroom and grab a bucket so that the water has somewhere to drain to, though its flowing so bad that there isn't a specific point that its coming off the table. get some other buckets and try to put it where the water flows the most. got the fishes out in time thankfully but there is a TON of water in the room. thankfully it is, like i said before, in the basement and so there is no floor below us and no floorboards to soak. turns out that the sealant on the bottom of tank was too old and almost all of it on one side came loose, and so no broken glass, just a big broken seal of around 2 1/2 feet. could i reseal the tank now? if so, should i unseal all of it and redo it all since the sealant is pretty old and is probably just a matter of time before the rest unseals itself? also, what should i treat the carpet with? is there a chance of a super fish mold breakout?

wow that sux, besides soking up all of the water just a basic carpet cleaner should work. i know there is a page on how to fix the seal of your tank but i cant find it ....i hear its tricky.

As for the carpet thing, there's many other site that can give you that info. you may need to redo it.

How big is your tank? I prefer to get a new one instead of reseal it.

I had this same nightmare to a lesser extent, but with a bigger tank.

The left side front seal of my 55 gallon aquarium came loose. While I wasn't losing 45867349874862363456388 gallons per second, it left a major water puddle in my fish room. It also meant I had some koi to rehome sooner than expected.

It also meant my goldies got to move to a 55 gallon [i had 2] from their original 46 bowfront. I am begging for a bigger tank for Christmas.

Get a shopvac for all the water. Having a good shopvac is almost a requirement once you start getting lots of tanks!!

As for resealing it, yes, you will need to get a razor blade and scrape off all the old sealant, and then reseal it. Since it is a smaller tank it may just be more worth your while to replace it. After all, if the sealant is so old it's coming apart it may not be much longer before the glass gives out, too.

alright thanks for the advice everyone. the water wasn't too dirty yet since it was just starting to be cycled at it was only at hour17 or so, and at that time there was only 2 feedings done and only 2 fish. ill think of getting a new tank, though i dont know if i should go for a new used one, or a straight out new one. id only get one of similar size anyways, so around 30 gallons.

GREAT (sarcasm) I have an old 30 gallon tank

Sorry to hear about the tank

Sorry to hear that you were having such messy problems with your tank. I'm glad that the fish are okay. :) As js said though,if the tank is pretty old,I'm with her-I think I'd just look for a newer one myself. When it's that big of a leak,I would never feel safe about repairing it,so it would drive me crazy with worry. :rolleyes:

Used tanks are okay,but then again,you may run into the very same types of problems. I had three used 20 gal. tanks given to me.They all looked really good on the seals,but when I filled them,one tank did leak.I repaired it myself thouh because it was a very small area at the top.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out. :)

ya im afraid of getting another tank and it leaking on me again. i was thinking that atleast if i redid all the seals on my tank, theyd be fresh and have less chance of breaking again, though im not a tank maker so i dont know if thats how it works, though this does give me a chance to get a bigger tank if i can find one for a good price. how much do 50 gallon tanks usually go for these days? i guess my fish are gonna have to endure the 10 gallon tank for maybe another week until i get this all sorted.

Guest mic123

I just recently bought a 55 gal. tank used for $100. I don't know if you live near a vvvv but I know that right now they have a sale that includes a 55 gal. tank hood, light ,filter, net , thermometor and a couple of other things for $160

alright thanks, ill go check it out, though im in canada and the deals might be different.

yes, i had 2 fish in there. a small lionhead/ranchu and an oranda/fantail (i dont actually know what they are because the fantail seems to have a wengrowth, and i can't quite tell if yet if the other fish is a ranchu or lionhead). first thing i did was get the buckets to contain all the water that was pouring out, then i got the fish, though to give you an idea of how fast the water, by the time i had the buckets in place and i was getting the fish, the tank was more than half empty. i had a 10 gallon tank still set up with 2 commons in it that i was getting ready to transfer over to the big tank in afew days(wanted to feed them seperately for afew days and let the smaller fish get used to the bigger tank first) so i had a safe place to put them.

bad new though. the other day i woke up and started to brush my teeth and while i was brushing my teeth i went to go look at the fishes. i only could see 3 in the tank, so i quickly turned on the light and looked again. still i only saw 3(of the usualy 4). i quickly scoured the floor to see if i could find the fish that was missing, nope, couldn't find it. i thought perhaps it could have been sucked up by the filter, but theres no way that could have happened because it was one of the bigger commons that was gone. then i looked on the floor again more thuroughly. i looked behind the desk that the tank was sitting on and i could barely see a fish covered with dust. i guess when i was sleeping, the big fish must have jumped out of the tank and landed behind the tank. made me sad, it was one of the more social fishes and would always nibble on my finger. i don't quite know why it jumped out, maybe it felt more crowded after i put all the fish back in the 10 gallon. i dont think it was an oxygen issue because none of the fish ever go gasping for air. perhaps it heard the phone ring and got scared, though i notice that when my fish are asleep, its actually pretty hard to wake them up, even with gentle glass taps. im pretty sure all the other fish were sleeping too because that day they fell asleep before me, and were still asleep when i woke up. heres a picture of the fish. you can see that hes more social because he was upto the glass when i took the picture. none of the other fishes would come close to the glass when i was taking pictures: dscf4967is9.jpg