"flights Of Fancy" Goldfish Varieties

Man Yu

I think i remember a thread somewhere here a long time ago about making up your owntheoretical and personalized breed of goldfish... Hm. Well, here's some I came up with... As for the names, I'm not really sure if they could be validly translated into something meaningful in japanese (except for Botan, which I know is Japanese for Peony). What the heck, these fish don't exist anyway... except in my 'magination :D

The SANKIN (which theoretically, was bred from wenless ranchus). The ideal profile should be a small head and prominent dorsal hump; smooth caudal peduncle contour, and compact finnage. The overall effect should give the fish something of a car-like appearance. Is available in several color morphs but the only valid and accepted color variantsfor show class fish are black and red-white. Especially prized are butterfly-patterned specimens with white trim on a solid red body.

goldfish1-1.jpg

The BOTAN-SHIKIN or PEONY TAIL (most likely line-bred from the broadtail ryukin). An amazing rare variety with four tails that ideally should have numerous ramifications of the fin rays to create the delicate "peony-petals" look. Specimens in matte and calico coloration are the most desirable.

goldfish2.jpg

:rofl

I'll post more as soon as I could think up of more wild ideas for breeds that dont exist

heheh... don't we all wish... ;) time and genetics are not on our side though.

Although there IS a possibility if genetic engineering continues to be developed. They've produced glow-in-the dark zebra danios already after all... But I don't condone it. Goldfish are held in high regard for their heritage of centuries of patient developing and breeding after all.

Edited by Man Yu

Well, with this one, I'm a little more optimistic some GF breeder will come up with in our lifetime...

goldfish3.jpg

*BTW, the Botan-Shikin doesn't actually have FOUR tails; it's only the greatly developed twin anal fins that gives the impression. (hah, almost as if i'm describing a real fish, no? :D )

Edited by Man Yu

So do I. I'm already keeping my eyes peeled these days should it happen that breeders have already developed it by chance. Doesn't have to have the red fins, I'd take one with white finnage as long as the body shape conformation and finnage is the same as in the drawing. I absolutely love the compact-bodied breeds like shorttail ryukins, side-view ranchus and jikins.

Man Yu, whenever they come out with that shortail red cap, I'll have a few of those. Especially with all the other fins in red as well, on a clear white body, wow, that is like a jikin coloration! :heart

I like the one with the fancy tail, I forget the name. But really, Man Yu, I love your gold and black ranchu! :exactly

The term I made up is a "Botan-Shikin".

Well, unfortunately she (the ranchu I have) is all yellow-orange now. The black has faded completely from lack of full exposure to sunlight. Her former brilliant lemon color has become tinged with orange... Overall, just a plain-looking regular ranchu now. Tch. Knew it was too good to last for long. :cry1

Man Yu, whenever they come out with that shortail red cap, I'll have a few of those. Especially with all the other fins in red as well, on a clear white body, wow, that is like a jikin coloration!

Yeah... me too... Hurry up and get to breeding, ye breeders! Man Yu's impatient! (Heck, maybe it'll be as simple as cross-breeding a redcap oranda with a short-tail ryukin! :D )

Edited by Man Yu

Too bad that it isn't all that easy. A lot of jikin don't even have the telltale coloration, a lot of them come out with tons of red on their body. That is gonna be one project with a lot of work! :thud