Using Sterazin (a Parasiticide) To Disinfect Plants?

mrbumblebee

Hi guys, I know you can use either a bleach solution or Potassium Permanganate and some people use salt for disinfecting plants, but what about a parasite medication?

I was looking around at medications generally and I found this aquatic medication called Sterazin made by Waterlife.

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/sterazin.htm

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/gennote.htm

It is a parasiticide, but it says you can use a solution of it for disinfecting plants as well. It says to soak them for 30 minutes and then rinse them off with water before putting them in your tank.

I'm not sure how much of the solution you would need to use, so whether it would be financially viable to use it or not, as I guess bleach and Potassium Permanganate would work out cheaper.

I wonder if this would be more effective for disinfecting aquatic plants though? It acts mainly against parasites, but it acts as a bactericide as well.

I'll check out the instructions on the back of the bottle next time I'm at my LFS, I suppose it really depends on how much you have to use of it or how dilute the solution has to be, it could be an expensive way of doing it otherwise.

I think it is made in the UK, so it is readily available here, but I'm not sure about elsewhere so maybe some UK'ers might have used it for this purpose before? Does it work well? Just wondered, I have PP at home anyway.

There may be other brands of medication which can be used like this as well :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Thanks Sandy. I'll try to find out the dosage required for disinfecting tanks - if you need to use a large amount of a bottle then it might be an expensive option, but then again I would interested to know how well it worked on plants. I had heard something about it being used to disinfect nets, so it does sound like quite a flexible treatment to have. It might even be a bit more gentle on plants than Bleach or Potassium Permanganate. I'll look into it a bit more I think :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Let us know how you get on and i will try to find out as well. I know when ive seen buckets with nets in the water is a really deep green so it might be a lot, but i think they dont change the water for a long time.

i know some people who clean plants in different ways, they use a VERY weak solution on washing power etc etc.....

i suppose you could use anything that cleans if it is weakened enough, heck, i remember someone telling me that they use PVA glue and warm water to clean there plants, someone else told me they use rubbing alcohol..... O_o i'm not sure about those 2 though xD

Sorry to barge in on your thread but I was wondering the same thing about Jungle Parasite Clear which has several anti-parasite ingredients as well as an anti-bacterial. If I am going to be using PC in my tank anyway (was thinking of doing a second preventitive course of PC after having trouble after adding a new fish) will now be a good time to buy the live anacharis I have been wanting (which I have heard is sensitive to bleach)? Will the 3 dose every 48 hour course of the med work to get rid of any parasites that might be lurking in the plants? My lfs does have a separate tank for plants by the way.

Hi Sea, I don't know much about Jungle Parasite clear I'm afraid, I don't think it's available in the UK.

It sounds like a good idea to use it to disinfect your plants and remove parasites though.

I would have thought it would be better to always clean the plants before you add them to the aquarium even though you are treating with this stuff anyway, you don't want to knowingly introduce something into the system, even if the medication in the tank wipes it out quickly.

Also, double check it is safe for plants to begin with and not one of these medications where you have to remove the plants before treating.

In theory it sounds like it would work against the parasites on your plants, but you might need to use either a more concentrated or dilute dosage on them than you would for the tank as a whole, so check that out too.

Hopefully another member who has used it can advise you. Best of luck with it :)

Thanks for your response. I guess it is probably better to wait on switching back to live plants (as much as I wanted to). I am just getting over months of problems after bringing in a new fish and I guess there is really no reason to take another chance on something nasty being brought into the tank. Better to be safe than sorry.

:mad: I'm so annoyed with myself, I was at my LFS's today and I completely forgot about checking out the Sterazin instructions for disinfecting plants. I went in specifically for that too, isn't that so annoying, I just got sidetracked by the fish again. I'll try and pop in again tomorrow :)

Thanks Sandy. I didn't get a chance to go to the LFS again today anyway.

I emailed Waterlife and they suggested using double the recommeded dose for tanks, when cleaning newly purchased aquatic plants.

As you would only need a bucket of water or so for disinfecting plants, you wouldn't need much of the solution so it might be economical to get the little 60 ml bottle and try it out. I might give it a go next time I get any plants. I think there is also supposed to be a leaflet in the box, not sure if it says anymore about it there.

Waterlife also said you double the tank dose for disinfecting netting as well.

It's good to look into new things :)

Edited by mrbumblebee