What Do I Do With My Dead Goldfish?

Guest Patti_The_Telescope

Guest Patti_The_Telescope

King Pickle (my black moor) passed away this morning. :cry1 He was suffering from severe fin rot. I've never had a dead fish before, and I don't know what to do with him or the hospital tank.

I'm sorry about your Black Moor. I lost my Ryukin almost two years ago. I didn't know what to do either. I knew I wasn't going to flush her down the toilet as that is about as cruel and disgusting of a thing as you could possibly do.

I ended up putting her in a tupperware filled with tank water and buried it in my backyard. :rip:

Edited by Jack of Hearts

Its not cruel and disgusting to flush a dead fish. Now if it was alive, then in would be very cruel. I had to flush my favorite fish. He was the 2nd closest pet to me, besides my rat. Its just about the safest thing you could do. If you burry a fish bugs or other animals may dig it up but I know lots of people who do this and haven't had it dug up. Theres nothing wrong with it, just make sure its deep enough and in an appropriate place so that nothing can get to it. You could also place him in a ziplock bag and put him in the trash can.

Honestly, burrying a fish is the last thing I would do. I wouldn't want to take a chance of my dogs or cats finding it and eating it. It could make them sick. But if you want to burry it thats your choice and good luck.

I'm sorry you lost you fish.

BTW- About the tank. I would dump the water out and then scrub the heck out of it with very hot water. They sell some specil cleaners at pet stores that are safe for fish as long as you rinse everything before adding fish.

Guest invertedsilver

Flushing a fish in my opinion is not safe, even if the water is treated chemicaly.

A tupperwear container will keep animals from smelling the body just fine.

I have had to burry four hamsters in my back yard, the first being several years ago.

I burried norman in a cottage cheese container and put a large flat rock over the soil so that no animal could dig him up. So far, so good.

If you are really worried about it, put him in a jelly jar. Even if they do smell it, an animal isn't going to break the glass or chew through the metal lid.

I don't like the idea of flushing a fish, it just seems so.. idignant. I mean, poo and other such nasties go down the same shute.

Either way, I'm sorry for you loss.

When I lost all of my guys to a poweroutage when I was on vacation, I burried all of them under the oak tree I planted when I was in first grade, that way I knew something I loved was helping another thing I loved to grow and it' s nice to look out at my oak and think of my goldies. :heart

Anything you flush down the toilet will end up on the beach/in the sea (in this country anyway, I dont know what your sewage routines are over there). But putting a diseased body into natural waterways is not a nice thing to do, if its something that is not already in that lake/sea or whatever it might infect all the wild fish. Or if it lands up on the beach, another animal, even someone elses dog could eat it and get sick. Its not a good thing to do.

Also burrying the fish in tuppaware or plastic, anything which is not biodegradable is not a good thing. It's just mucking up the earth with rubbish.

I wrap a dead fish in paper or something else that will decompose with the fish and just burry it in the garden, I dont worry about depth, as we dont have any other animals, but those of you with cats/dogs just dig a little deeper.

When I have a tropical die, I freeze it in a baggie with water (usually to make sure he really IS gone) and then I put him in the trash during trash day.

When any of my goldfish have died, Ive put them in a bag with water, froze them, then buried them in the flower beds.

I guess it depends on the emotional attachment you had to your pet.

IMO, I dont think its cruel to flush a dead fish, but I wouldnt do it now. I have in the past as a teenager, but not in a long, long time.

regarding your hospital tank: I would scrub it super good (like was already suggested), but I think the important part is to scrub everything with hydrogen peroxide. That will sterilize it. You might want to wear some rubber gloves, too, cause that stuff will irritate your skin after a bit.

I agree, it is very important to clean out your quarantine/hospital tank after each use - particularly if you've lost a fish.

1 in 20 bleach solution works well for cleaning a tank out or Potassium Permanagnate granules if you can get hold of them, but they can sometimes leave stains. Rinse the tank out very, very well aftrwards and before using again.

I would be careful using very hot water on a glass tank though, it may crack if the temperature change is sudden.

Here is a pinned thread from the tank and equipment forum about disinfecting a tank with some more info

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=41101

:)

Edited by mrbumblebee

I agree with Lucy and MrBumbblebee. If you burry, make sure whatever you wrap it in is bio-degradable please. Sterylize the tank and all equipment that came into contact with that water (nets, syphons, etc) with either bleach water or KMnO4, definately. Make sure you rinse everything VERY well afterwards. Boil gravel and other hard ornements. Hot water is not enough to kill most fish diseases and I wouldn't want to risk the next fish.

Edited by Kissy

:exactly I just dug a hole and my mom put them in and covered them over, I couldn't bare to do it . I didn't wrap them in anything, just burried them deeply next to the tree so they would help it grow.

Potassium permanganate is excellent for disinfecting your tank of disease. Even better than bleach solution. It will turn a dark purple, but you can treat the color with a good dechlorinator that will clear it before you have to dump the tank water. Wear rubber gloves.

personally i have a litte routine with dead pets (small ones anyway)

I wrap them in a little tissue, then put them inside a small cardboard tube (u know the ones from the inside of a toilet roll) and tape the ends up, like a little coffin. i write the pet's name on the cardboard and then bury them in a relatively deep hole, usually by a tree, and put a stick or stone over the grave as a marker.

It's nice to give them a proper little funeral, pets are a big part of people's lives and it's nice to say goodbye.

This ones real ceremonial. Theres the possibility of incinerating your dead fish. then release the ashes into a lake or pond somewhere. I m not sure how you could incinerate it though. but i think this would be real kind, and a good option for a fish. it would be a burial at sea...

Edited by goldfishgrateful

Guest Halloween

Yeah, I'd never flush a fish. All my pets are burried in the garden or yard. My parents were once understanding enough and let me keep a deceased fish in the freezer until spring.