Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

Non-fish Bowl Ideas

I've got a 1 gallon goldfish bowl that came with my 3 rescues. I'd rather not give it back to the previous owner because I'm afraid she'll put more fish in it lol. I know there was a thread on decorative ideas for bowls...but I don't remember all of them and can't find that thread. Ideas?

i have a houseplant in mine. if you get one that doesn't need TOO much water, it prevents itfrom getting messy/stinky.

You could put glass marbles in it and then put glass fish on poles in it. lol.

Hmmm, you could also put sand and shells in it and then fill it with water and put floating candels ontop. I use to have something like that in my bathroom but when we moved I drop the bowl and everything got ruined.

Pickles, do you put the pot inside the bowl, or did you just use the bowl as the pot? The second one would be much more asthetically pleasing, but I'd be afraid of no drainage. What type of plant do you have?

Sushi, I like that idea too! That would look great except the candles would never be lit. My dad is afraid that candles etc will burn the house down. I've got some good seashells picked out though...and I even have a couple glass snails I bought in Murano. They also had those cool glass swimming fish (and SHRIMP!!) but I was out of money to buy souvineers with. Maybe I can order some of those online. I like that idea and it would look cool in the bathroom...just gotta convince my brother and sister.

The bowl is plastic so I don't have to worry about dropping it.

Edited by Kissy

Guest quod me nutrit me destruit

I have a fish bowl set up like i would if i had fish in it. It has colourful gravel and a plastic little plant and a glass black fish. It's on a wire/plastic string attached to a plastic bubble on the top, making it float. I gave it to my Nanny, who always wanted a fish but wouldn't be able to take care of it :) Close enough :)

I gave it to my Nanny, who always wanted a fish but wouldn't be able to take care of it :) Close enough :)

Aww that's sweet :heart

I try ;) jk...to get it to mive i have a small air pump that makes him move lol. :D

bamboo is a good plant to put in there! it looks great, too, because you can put gravel in the tank too.

Very good idea :exactly

Here's what I did with mine :D

stuffetystuff069.jpg

It isnt like that anymore though as some of the plants grew weird.. the ivy stuff took over and the polka dot plant just didnt like how low the light is in my room. So now it just has the very happy ficus living in it.

I put a layer of gravel at the bottom for drainage :)

Cool use for a bowl Lucy.If its a glass bowl hows about decorating it using glass paint and using it as a storage container.Maybe use it for spare change so it mounts up and you can buy more fish :rolleyes:

put some sand in it and plant some cactus in it

What a tiny little ficus Lucy! Where did you find such a young one? That's smart with the gravel. I've got TONS of leftover gravel in many colors, textures, and sizes. I'm thinking maybe some pothos would enjoy something like that and drape over the sides.

I've only got one cactus in my room so I'd love to have more. Mine's a Mammarilia (sp) aka: Snowball cactus. Its so beautiful. They only thing with the cactus is that most will grow too wide for the opening in the bowl which is about 5" in diameter.

Blue, I've already got a zebra pig for that :D I love that thing.

lol, it was in the houseplant section of a cheap chainstore here. They have loads of teeny little pots with completely random plants in for 70p (about $1) each. I buy the little ones and attempt to grow them myself! :D The ficus has tripled in size already.

Something draping over would look cool, it would be like a head (the bowl) with hair :D

I put a small fish bowl inside my 55gal tank with few gravel in it. My Orandas and the Blackmoor love going inside that and pretending it's their home. They take turns to go inside and they suck and spit the gravel in it. Sometimes I see two of them inside and chasing each other like how dog's chase their own tail As there's not much space in it.

I have bamboo in mine. A plant would be cute, just make sure to put marbles are gravel on the bottom for drainage. Excited to see what you come up with!