Moving Pondfish Indoors

bodoba

I have about 8 baby shubunkins and about 3 or 4 other 2 year old fish that need to moved in from our pond this summer. It will be at my parents house and I know that they aren't as adament of fish caregivers as I am so I need a simple system that will require minimal aid seeing as I'll only be able to get down there once a month.

My theory is that in our basement I could maybe get an old horse trough or some other large animal feeder, clean it out and stick them in there. I could probably get away with that amount of space being acceptable (usually in the 100s of gallons in size)

Can you think off hand of any pump systems I could maybe use, (a hang on back would be the best)

Anything that you can think of that I'm missing in this plan please let me know.

Thanks,

Una

Hey Una nice to see you back :exactly

For all those fish you will need two containers over 100 gallons and split the fish. The more water to fish you have then then the easier to maintain. Maybe 3 if you have the room.

Some people use swimming pools but I dont know how practical that is for you. If you are using old animal bins then maybe wise to line them first.

In my basement for the winter I have two 100 gallon feeding troughs and then another 60 gallon trough. I have 1 pump and 1 filter between them all plus a bio filter. I also have grow lights. Fish need sunlight just like people do. Plus I bring many of my plants inside for the winter. My fish do really well in the basement all winter.