Stressed Clown Fish

Blue

Just done a water change on my tank and one of my baby clowns isn't too good now.Its pale and breathing very fast.I have isolated it in isolation netting as other fish had started attacking it.I've turned tank light out to try and help calm it down.Will my baby recover or was the water change too much for it,this was first large water change its been through since I got it.Its just laying there breathing heavy and pale whats its chances of recovery.My domino gets stressed but it recovers pretty quick.How long do I wait. :krazy:

What is causing the stress??? How large of a water change are you doing??? Is your new water the same ph, same salinity, same temp, when you change it??? Your fish ought to be refreshed not stressed after a water change....

To help this fish you will need to keep it from becoming more stressed...I am not sure a net is the thing to do...that will probably add more stress to the fish. There is not much more you can do....

Salinity/specific gravity everything identical to original parameters.Unfortunately by time I got your post it was too late Bobo was gone by 4.30am He passed away while I was sleeping :cry1

Sorry to hear that....it is always hard to lose a great fish like that....Must have been something with the fish....

Just curious...what salt mix do you use and how much water do you change each time???

I use aquarium systems instant ocean.This was a larger than usual water change due to a nitrite spike caused by meds that had been in the water.I always mix my water and heat it prior to putting in tankl.It was around an 80% change I usually only do around a 1/3rd.

Compared with my other clown this one didn't really grow much.They were true percs that were tank bred.

• Admin

Hun with saltwater tank you shouldnt every do more than a 30% water change. Anything more than that will cause a stress out problem.....the better way to control your prams is to do small water changes every 2 days to get it undercontrol....i also suggest to to a test on the tank before and after the changes to help you and the fish out :D

Thanks Koko wish I had known that before its not something the books tell you.I have decided that after all my current fish have lived out their lives to the full.My marine tank is to be dismantled.The plans to upgrade have been scrapped now.I'm a failure at keeping them its my fault my beloved clown fish Bobo died and for that I wont forgive myself.

• Admin

Hun dont be like that :D

We all learn from our mistakes. have lost a clown fish when my filter died on me in the middle of the nite, it hurt very much but I lifted my head up and learned from it and kepted on going. now look at my tank.....

I also have lost some coral but its all in a learning curve....I would say if you need help hun just ask :D

I dunno if I could carry on the tank is next to me and Bozo my remaining clown fish is lost without his companion he stayed with Bobo even when he had passed he never bit him.Bozo is just swimming from one end of tank to the other my guess is he's lonely for his own kind now.As my damsels have each other and my basslet keeps to himself.

• Admin

How big is your clown, sometimes you can get another one to go with them depending on how big they are and how young they are??

how big is this tank?

Ditto's with koko.... there is a learning curve...and you can add a new clown and because they are young you should be ok....Hang in there and don't give up.... You will get the hang of it....Just ask koko, if we can do this so can you!!!! :)

• Supporter

Aw Blue, I know nothing about reef tanks, but I just happened to read this and wanted to say not to give up. I lost a goldfish due to my lack of knowledge once, and while it was very hard to get over I tried again, and found Koko's in the meantime, and now I have four tanks! I know reef tanks are harder and more costly, but it sounds like you really enjoy yours and care about the fish, so i think you should try again. There are lots of fish out there who need good homes and you could give them one. Good luck. :)

Edited by jen626

Cool...really glad to hear you are sticking to it!!! I know that it can be frustrating at times but you know that you have a great time looking at these great critters in the tank and the beauty is out of this world!!!

Glad you reconsidered!!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Just spotted this thread, I ran my reef for 5 years and water changes were restricted to 10% weekly. Marine fish cannot tolerate any swings in water parameters so it sounds like you clown could have suffered from shock. Hopefully this hasn't put you off keeping these beautiful fish as when it does go well they cannot be beaten.