Betta Food

touchofsky

Tonight as I was feeding my goldfish my homemade gel food, I put a bit in the betta tank, and he voraciously ate it. I hope it was OK to give it to him. It is made with 1/2 can tuna, and 1 cup vegetables, held together with gelatin. I know that bettas are primarily carnivores, and goldfish are more herbivores, but hopefully this won't have hurt him.

Anyway, tomorrow we will go back to trying to get him to eat various betta food, or freeze dried food.

At least tonight, he has a bit in his tummy.

Great minds think alike :D I just got finished syphoning the bottom of his tank to remove any leftover bits. He flared at me, the little devil. He has been much more active tonight and his colour is more brilliant. I think he is finally settling in, and besides, he has a full tummy.

I'm glad that he finally ate! I don't know why, but I think for some bettas, it is a settling issue. When I bought Vincent, I suppose it was almost a week before he finally ate anything! He worried me so much! My other betta Carlito didn't eat for about 3 days, so hopefully now that yours has a taste of food that he will want more! :)

Guest sourmilknightmares

The veggies in it shouldn't hurt your fish at all. Some betta people even recommend giving bettas some veggies now and then. I know some of my bettas really enjoy having a bit of a thawed pea every now and then. Not only do they like it but it helps keep them healthy too!

Glad he's finally eating! Maybe now he'll try the fish food!

I tried freeze dried and frozen bloodworms and he wouldn't eat them. This morning, I tried freeze dried brine shrimp. Won't eat that. I now have to syphon his tank again to get it out :( So far, the only thing he has eaten was the gel food that I made for the goldfish.

Mine wouldn't eat the bloodworms either! Carlito looked at them, and then at me like he was saying "no way am I eating that!". :P My bettas like the betta bits, maybe because they are small pieces? Sounds to me like the food you gave him was actually pretty good for him. Good luck! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I got Flame, the new red betta, and divided the tank and put Flame on the other side, Jake (the first betta that wouldn't eat), decided to eat. He is now eating Betta Bites. He seems to like those better than the Hikari ones, but I will keep offering him the Hikari and see if he gets used to those, too.

Sounds like a good plan to me :D

It is funny, though, Flame, the red betta is very lively. He swims all over the tank, up and down the glass, most of the time. He does rest sometimes, but he is very lively. Jake on the other hand, is pretty laid back. He does swim around, but he pretty much hangs out most of the time. He is eating now, and comes over when I open the tank lid looking for his food, but he is pretty lazy.

Archived