Goldfish Sitting And Moping?

I have a 30 gallon aquarium and have a 5 inch fringetail goldfish with a 2" body in it. I used to have another 6" fish, but because its tail was crooked, I gave it away to a friend with a pond. Ever since then, the remaining one sits in a hideaway area in the tank only coming out when there's food served. A week after the other fish disappeared, I cleaned and newly aquascaped my tank. I thought my fish would explore the tank, but it doesn't come out of hiding when the tank light is on. When I turn it off, it comes out and swims about, but not like it is exploring. It just swims from one side of the front to the other and sits either on one end or the other. I have put out lettuce, and it eats all of it. The fish also eats the sinking ProGold pellets I serve. I offered some tilapia and that was refused. I served some cantaloupe and the fish took a couple of bites. So, I know it is eating ok.

Isn't it natural for a fish to swim about somewhat energetically or vigorously all day and look for food in the gravel? It doesn't seem natural for my fish to sit in hiding all day all the time. I never quarantined the two fish when they arrived a year ago as they were the only ones. I put them in a tank with a .3 concentration of salt, and kept a .1 salt concentration in the tank until recently when some people said it wasn't good to keep the tank salted all the time. Since flukes is a common problem, I decided to treat my fish with Prazipro, since sitting and moping was one of the symptoms of a fish sick with flukes. I began treating yesterday, and he hasn't had a necessarily negative reaction, just sits in his hideaway as always. I wonder if my fish is sick or is it lonely? Is he afraid because because I worked a long time rearranging the tank while he was in it, or is it because there are no other fish (He used to swim with the other fish all the time)? It isn't breathing rapidly at rest. In fact, he barely breathes. I wonder if he is asleep or something. Water parameters are 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, pH 7.0. Does anyone have and idea to my fish's puzzling behavior? I am totally baffled and worried that there is something wrong with the fish.

Edited by goldenlady

I, too, am concerned anytime a fish acts abnormally. And, yes, a goldfish will generally swim actively around in the tank....... some breeds are a little less active than others (bubble eye) but, by and large they are ACTIVE.

When a normal appearing fish sits and only swims and is active when there is food readily available, I immediately think that something is compromiseing their gill function. A fish will be lethargic for it is struggling to "breathe" normally and function. As you have noted, this is a VERY common signal of a large infestation of flukes (a couple of other parasites are also on the short list).

PraziPro is a very weak solution of Prazi. I have found that many fluke infestations are NOT contained or eliminated with the single treatment advertised on the medications. I use PondPrazi - the full 100% powder of Prazi. Mixed up, it is added to the tank for at least 3 treatments (At which time I do a mircon filter of the water and a scraping to check for fluke stragglers - and treat 3 more rounds if necessary) spaced 72 hours apart. This is the life cycle time of an average fluke.

PraziPro may not be strong enough to do the trick. It may help a bit, but may not be doing it all. If you are using it, you may find that multiple treatments - at least 3 rounds and maybe many more - may be needed to erradicate those nasties.

Do you have any ability to do a scraping on your fish and look under a microscope? Some highschools will let you use a microscope if you ask. Some vets are friendly and will do so, also. It is worth asking.

Definately look further for a cause - hiding on the bottom is not really normal.

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for your analysis and suggestion. Where might I get the pond strength Prazipro? Would the one on the Goldfish Connection be adequate? http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/det...tId=30&catId=21

or how about the one featured at the DR.s Foster and Smith LIveAquaria.com? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

If not these, what do you recommend? Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, Prazi costs like its weight in gold. Fortunately, it is worth its weight in gold - or at least in treating goldfish.....

A tiny amount, thank goodness goes a LOOOOONG way....

http://www.pondrx.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=10

It has a shelf life of years.

:)

• 1 month later...

I had a very fancy goldfish acting this way. It was explained to me by a very knowledgeable person that goldfish are highly social creatures, and that perhaps my fish was lethargic because he was lonely. Originally I was hesitant to put him in with my other fish because he's so huge, but once I did, I saw an immediate change for the better. He was swimming with that happy "flick" in his tail! and he was very gentle around the young fish.

That must be our anwser to any goldfish question: get more goldfish! :krazy: