Best Way Of Disinfecting Java Fern

mrbumblebee

I know there are lots of methods of disinfecting live plants like Potassium Permanganate, Bleach and Salt dips but which is the best one to use on Java Fern?

I have heard that some plants tolerate one method more than others, so any particular one for Java Ferns?

I don't want to kill them off before I even Start. I've trialled some Jave Fern with a 1 in 20 bleach dip, but it didn't like it much and looked quite sorry for itself, it's coming around now though.

Also when I dip them, is it just the leaves I need to clean or the rhizome/roots as well, maybe that is where I'm going wrong. Thanks guys :)

You want to dip anything that is going in the tank, as nasties can be anywhere on the plant.

ermm, well I used salt to do my Java fern and it took that very well.. I think I did it at about 0.6% or something.. it was ages ago, cant remember.. for ermm.. a day.. no wait maybe it was less salt for more time. :blink: Ignore me. :) I dont know much about the rest. :D

OK thanks guys, so that is roots and all? I have some Potassium Permanganate. Do you use 1 tsp per 1.33 gals concentration like the pinned thread suggests for disinfecting plants or something different. Many thanks for your help :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Yeah, I got some a few months back off Ebay UK, I got it for disinfecting a secondhand tank and for the first time I tried plants, but they died off anyway, think I made it too strong :rolleyes:

It was not cheap, cost about a tenner for a 250g tub off Ebay with all the pond stuff, that was the smallest you could get, should last ages though :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Woah that seems like an aweful lot! Are you sure that's the dosage for PP? I don't measure, I use a popcorn bowl sized bowl and shake in a few crystals. It will take a while to mix so be patient. I keep adding a few crystals at a time until the water is a nice dark plum color, then let soak for about 20 minutes.

Woah that seems like an aweful lot! Are you sure that's the dosage for PP? I don't measure, I use a popcorn bowl sized bowl and shake in a few crystals. It will take a while to mix so be patient. I keep adding a few crystals at a time until the water is a nice dark plum color, then let soak for about 20 minutes.

Thanks Kissy, that 1 tsp per 1.33 gallons concentration is what it says on the pinned thread about disinfecting plants at the top of the page.

That's about one teaspoon per 5 gallons of water in a bucket

I tried it and it does go VERY dark indeed. Maybe it's too strong for some plants? I'll try the method you suggested with any more plants I get :)

You can buy Jungle Lab's Clear Water... it is a potassium permanganate solution. I buy it at nnnnnn.

Thanks Kingyo. Yeah, I've heard of that stuff before, I'm not sure it's avilable in the UK though - I have looked around in passing but have never seen it.

It does sound easier and less messy than granules. Oh well, I have some PP now so beter use it up :)