Sign in to follow this  
wolfsong8

Thank Goodness They Are Hardy!

My family went on vacation last week and we asked my MIL to watch our pets. Before we left I double checked the water quality for both my goldie and my betta and made sure to feed them right before we left. We also made sure our cat had plenty to eat and drink. My MIL was supposed to come over in the middle of hte week to check up on things and feed the animals. Well, she forgot! Everyone was okay, thank heavens, but the fish went five days without food! I guess the bright side is that their insides have been cleaned out. I felt so bad, and so did my MIL. She is the absolute nicest person in the world, but can sometimes be a bit forgetful. I am just glad everyone is okay.

Good thing everyone is OK! My bf and I went to Puerto Rico last winter and my goldies were fine after 6 days. The cats at run out of food(probably after 2 days, lol) but they were OK, just hungry. :)

I am glad your fish are well... that is why I always use an automatic feeder when I go on vacations

It's good to know that fish can survive that long without food. We haven't had a proper holiday ever since I got my fish... :D

I wouldnt go any longer than 5 days though. :) I dont trust those automatic feeders, have heard too many horror stories. I think they would be better off fasted for 5 days than have the feeder spilling too much food into my tank and spoiling my water while I wasnt home. :)

:) Hi Sarah,glad to hear that all turned out well.On a good note though,the lack of feeding probably kept the water alot safer anyway. :rolleyes::lol:

Erin,I tend to agree with you.I have never used those automatic feeder's and don't intend to after all the stories and sickness that I've helped people deal with after they used them.

To me ,it's just as easy to buy some fresh Cabomba or Elodea plants for the Goldies to munch on if I was going away for a few days. :D

A holiday? Ooh la, what's that? :D

I'm so glad everyone was ok on your return and I'm with Sharon, some yummy plants are good for a feed if they get hungry :D

With automatic feeders, you could just put enough food in there for a few days and after it is gone, the fish fast for the rest of the vacation. That way, if the feeder accidently spills all the food in the water, it's not much food to spoil the tank water.