Sick Betta

Nykole

As you know my Betta never "thrived." I put him in a 1 gallon tank that I change 50% of the water daily until I can cycle a 3 gallon for him. Today I went to feed him and noticed he has a transparent, thick something or another all the way around his middle. (If you've ever seen a frogs shed skin: thats what it looks like but wrapped around his middle) The tips of his torn fins have turned white also. Hes pretty much "hovering" near the surface. What can I do? I dont think hes going to survive much longer! I have no melafix or any anti-bacterial and Im extremely sick. I have an awful case of the flu and can hardly stand without going to the toliet to vomit :ill (sorry for the detail,I just wanted to point it out that I cant leave my house) Help Please!!!

Thanks,

Do you have salt that doesn't contain an anti-clumping agent? Some table salt is OK, make sure to look at the ingredients. Iodine is OK. Aquarium, pickling, kosher, or coarse salt is good.

You could add 1 tablespoon per five gallons. So, if you have him in a 1 gallon tank, I would say about a well rounded 1/2 teaspoon. Dissolve it in water first.

Also, since he is in a small container without a heater, try to get him in a warm spot.

I hope some one else can give you some more help.

I also hope you are feeling better soon.

Thank you Touchofsky. I have aquarium salt so I put that in with him(dissolved first). Do you have an idea of what it is? Ive never seen anything like it before. Its not fuzzy like fungus and its transparent and his color underneath it has change to an orangish color.

Thanks again,

Also thanks, I have been feeling pretty awful but holding off so I dont have to go to the hospital as I have no one to care for my pets.

Guest sourmilknightmares

I like to think I know a lot about bettas but I have never heard of anything like this. Is there maybe something in the tank he could have gotten the scum around his middle from?

Changing 50% of a 1 gallon tank everyday is a little excessive. Bettas don't create that much waste and such frequent changes are probably pretty stressful which may be why he never 'thrived.' I have my bettas in 1 gallon tanks and I do a 100% water change about once every 5 days and they all do very well. If you wanted to you could probably put your betta in the three galon right now so long as the water has been allowed to sit 24 hours. Bettas don't really require a cycled tank. So you don't really have to wait to put him in. Just make sure there are no leaks in the tank and that there is no chlorine in the water and it should be good.

You could try posting at this place http://www.petfish.net/yabbse/index.php?board=8 They're pretty smart betta people on there and maybe they can help you with your fish's sickness.

Hope you start feelinf better soon! Possibly one of the worst things in the world is being sick...

I hated to do this but I gave him a "shove" towards the light. He was so sick he couldnt even swim towards the surface to breathe. :cry1

Sourmilknightmares- He was ill when I first got him but something about him just "called out" to me. I change his tank everyday because it became cloudy. And I didnt want tojust plunk him in new water so I used the water from his old tank with the frogs. Do you have filters on your 1 gallons?

Now that I look at it it looks kind of different than I had first discribed. It was probably a fungus. He was probably fighting it before I got him and the stress of changing aquariums was too much. I feel really bad because I only had him since Sunday.

:cry1

if u ever get somting like this again do 100% water changes if they r dizized but make shure u use non clorine wter(just let it sit out over night) and add a ttlbspoon of salt per gallon and u might want to do a slat soak it wen u add a tblspon of salt to about a half a cup of water plce the betta in and let them stay in there fore about 3 to 5 min and then put them into there clean tank.

Guest sourmilknightmares

I have one 2 gallon hex (more like 1.5gal.) that I have an under gravel filter and one female betta in. I hardly ever even have to vaccum the gravel in it. It's VERY low maintance. All of my other bettas are just in 2/3 gal to 1 gallon sized vases or tanks that have nothing in them besides treated water, fish, pebbles, and a fake plant. Some are even just fish and water. Bettas are pretty adaptable and whether or not the water has been cycled doesn't really bother them.

I know what its like to have a fish call out to you. It happened to me once with a gorgeous bubble eye goldfish with a bad case of ick. He saddly died later on as well. It's so hard to see them sick at a pet store and just leave them because you know they're gonna die. At least you were able to make the rest of that betta's life as comfortable as possible.

Kissez- Your posts are very hard to understand. Not using shorthand and using puncuation is helpful. And I do know the basis of Betta care. Thanks anyway. :)

SourMilkNightmares- I have heard the vases arent very good for the Betta but never had one. Can you tell me more about them? Its especially hard to see Bettas. They are always in as little water as possible. My local vvvv has them in tiny cups with proabably half a measuring cup of water. I was thinking about setting up a few little aquariums around my house with Bettas. I really wish they got along with each other(males and males) as I proabably wouldnt even have GF but a tank of Bettas.

I know what you mean Nykole about wanting to rescue poor bettas out of those cups.

So sorry about your poor betta. But as was said previously, you loved him and tried to help him, so at least he had that.

Do you think he might have had some kind of bacterial problem?

Guest sourmilknightmares

Sorry for the confusion! I don't have any plants in my vases. No roots to get in the fish's way. In my vases all I have in is just a SMALL (like 6) pebbles in the bottom for added color. I don't like the whole peace lily in with the fish and the roots of the plant eventually will start to decay which can do bad things to the fish. I don't the way the plany looks on top of the vase anyway. Less work if you just leave the plant out.

I have heard of spawn brother bettas being kept togather in a large tank before (40 gallons+) and since they had never been seperated they were less territorial. There will still small fights and torns fins and such. The guy who did this did it as an alternative to culling and it worked out pretty good for him. That also seems like it would take a whole lot of effort to do. Sounds intresting, but not something I want to try.

A few bettas around the house should look pretty nice. You can use a pretty small tank, absolutely nothing less then 1 quart though. At least a gallon would be better though. Just remember, the smaller the tank the more you'll have to clean it. (which reminds me I need to clean some betta tanks before I go to sleep tonight lol)

SourMilkNightmares-

Good thing about the plants. Ive heard that people dont feed the Betta at all and expect themto eat the plant roots. GRRR I just want to scream at them that Bettas are carnivores!!! Also I hate theose "Betta Hex", where the betta has like 2 measuring cups of water and are side by side. My friend had one and both her bettas died in way too soon prabably from exhaution. They were always flaring at each other.

For tanks I was thinking about buying 2 or 3 three gallon Eclispe tanks. I have 3 of them now (12G, 6G, and 3G, I have Moors in the 12 and the 6 is a GF QT and the 3 is a frog/betta QT) and I love them. How many Bettas do you have?? Could I put say 2 or 3 females in with one male or will he terrorize them? I only want whats best and dont want my male to be lonely.

Thanks,

Guest sourmilknightmares

Unless you are trying to breed the bettas don' ever put any females in with the male because unless you have a very placid male (very rare) he will kill them. The females can very picky about their companions too. Some people keep females in a community tank but you have to keep a sharp eye on them. Even the girls have a tendancy to really pick on or kill a weaker girl. On the other hand if you buy them from a community tank and they have never been seperated for any extended periods of time they can get along very well and make great community tank members. Again it all depends on the fish (and whether or not they've ever been keep alone.) The younger they are the better to. If you try to put an older female in a community tank they tend to be quite grouchy.

A lot of people worry about their male bettas getting lonely but if you really stop and think about it that's the way they are supposed to be. Out in the wild they're solitary creatures. If another fish comes in his territory that he doesn't like the betta will not hesitate to fight the other fish and eventually one gives up and leaves. The other one is left alone again. And that's the way he likes it. He wants to be the only betta, the top betta. People worry about their fish being lonely, but in reality that's the way bettas have always liked it. They like being solitary fish. If you want though, you can put a female's tank beside the males and they can 'keep each other company.'

There are currently only 8 bettas in our household and I take care of 7 of those. Had a lot more at one point but I think this is a good number for me.

Guest sourmilknightmares

Nykole, I was at a pet store yesterday and I saw a fish that seemed to have exactly what you described with your betta. It was a slimy type fungus wrapped around the fish's midsection. It was really weird but I believe it was some form of fungus and was the same as what your fish had.

• 3 months later...
Guest selbbub
:( this is my first time using a forum and i,m desperate ihave a very sick betta he has avey bad case of fin rot he has gone from almost a 3 inch tail to 1 inch and fe has velvet i have spent a fortune on meds and nothing is working HELP

Guest selbbub
Do you have salt that doesn't contain an anti-clumping agent? Some table salt is OK, make sure to look at the ingredients. Iodine is OK. Aquarium, pickling, kosher, or coarse salt is good.

You could add 1 tablespoon per five gallons. So, if you have him in a 1 gallon tank, I would say about a well rounded 1/2 teaspoon. Dissolve it in water first.

Also, since he is in a small container without a heater, try to get him in a warm spot.

I hope some one else can give you some more help.

I also hope you are feeling better soon.

please HELP ME im goig tolose him

Guest sourmilknightmares

Get some Jungle Fungus Eliminator. It has to Be Eliminator and not Fungus Clear. Pick up some Aquari Sol too and use them as described on the back. If you have tried those and they don't work I recommend some Kanacyn. Its a really good antibiotic. I've never used it for fin rot but I've used it for other things and it's good. Again, just follow the instuctions on the back. Hope all goes well for you!

Archived