Ripped Fins And Possible Fungus

Blue

My large Blue Finned Damsel has been savaged by my Domino.His tail is totally shredded I have now noticed small fungal type growths on his fins now.Am going to test the water to ensure its pristine during treatment.I've isolated the domino in a isolation tank that sits inside main tank.I'm going to commence treatment with eSHa oodinex wide range marine treatment which is inverte friendly.Anyone familier with this product and is it any good as I don't always take what the LFS says about a product.If non of you know much about it I'll let you know if its any good.I would have set up a QT but Tubby stole mine.

I am not familiar with that product but like you said, if you keep the water clean, that should really help with the healing. Do you know why the domino suddenly attacked? Those damsels are really, really aggressive, especially the dominoes. You may want to consider rehoming that guy so this doesn't happen again.

What exactly does your med claim to treat? If it does turn out to be a fungal infection, then obviously you would treat with an anti fungus med. I'm not sure what meds you guys have available over there.

II would caution you about using meds in your display tank!!!! I would never get into the habit of doing that....Always do meds in a hospital tank.... As your reef matures and you get more things in the tank these meds claim to be safe but they do affect the natural fauna in the tank....It is just too risky to do that....

Currently no corals or live rocks have been added it just contains false plants ornaments at present.The tank is going to be upgraded around christmas and current tank used as a marine QT.I would have prefered to quarantine but given my QT was taken I didn't have any choice regards medicating the main tank it was that or risk losing the fish.Thanks for the advice Ron what you said is one of main reasons why I want a marine QT don't want to upset my tank once I really get it progressing.

The med is a broad spectrum it treats all common marine fish diseases marine ick,fungus,fin rot etc

Edited by Blue

Understand you situation....just remember for the future!!! If a med can kill ICH...and all these other things then I would never put it in my main tank.... In fact I have been doing salt now for over two decades and have never put any meds in my main tank....I have been keeping fish now for over 30 years....

I have heard of things like copper meds binding to the coral and rock and never being able to be completely cleared out of the tank. One of our customers a long time ago kept killing things he put in his tank due to the copper residue.

Hows the damsel doing today? Are you planning on separating them for the future or returning one?

I have heard of things like copper meds binding to the coral and rock and never being able to be completely cleared out of the tank. One of our customers a long time ago kept killing things he put in his tank due to the copper residue.

Hows the damsel doing today? Are you planning on separating them for the future or returning one?

Just a little background on why I may be a little over cautious....I spent 15years as a pharmaceutical rep...and have lots of hours in pharmacology.... I am very leery of introducing these chemicals into a reef environment...After seeing the limited testing and hearing unexplained crashes in systems over the years...when the questions are asked if there has been any kinds of meds or products used to kill various parasites or cure fungal, or other bacterial infections....the answer is more often yes than it is no.... It is true that copper in a system will kill all the inverts and coral....but other drugs and such are not reef safe and even if they claim to be look at the label....It most cases they are like there parent drug with lower doses....or they work on the principle?

I know that we all have our preferences and if I am going to err...I will err on the side of caution....I have thousands of dollars invested in my system and a 15 dollar med isn't going in there!!! JMHO....I will if I may preach "Hospital or QT tank" if you plan on using your tank as a reef tank.... otherwise...fish can handle a lot more than sessile inverts!!! :) Ok I am done!!!

My damsel is doing fine eating well.This is day2 of meds so only one more day of treatment to go,as its a 3 day course.Its chasing its fellow damsels round the tank. :) The domino's fate hasn't been decided yet.

Edited by Blue

I completely agree with you RM and dont think you're over cautious at all. I was amazed at the amount of customers who had thousands invested in these beautiful reef systems only to take home a new fish, plop it right in and then complain about diseases. We always tried to educate about the importance of quarantining new fish but a lot of people just don't want to go to the trouble.

At this point in my fishkeeping, I have acquired so many extra tanks and filters and heaters that setting up a Q tank is no big deal; to newer keepers I know that can still be kind of an issue to have all those extras.