Moving A Snail

pootwilson

sometimes my snail goes places in the tank that he is not supposed to go(ie the air tube for the bubbles ;) he always climes up it and i am afraid he will climb out) anyway if i gently put my nail under his "foot" and peel him off will this hurt him i am extra gentle and it takes me forever to get him off b/c i want to be carefull) and if this is bad for him how can i get him off if i need to (i know this is short but it took me forever to write b/c we are babysitting my cousin and she is only 1 and she wont let anyone else hold her but me(or she`ll cry) so i am doing this one handed and left hande3d part of the time.grrr)

thanks for any help

anyone id like to know how to move it off the tub i put the fish in when i am cleaning b/c it is hard to do(took me 20 minutes last time b/c i was afraid to hurt him)so could anyone tell me how to take him off the wall w/out ripping him out of his shell?

:) The safest way is to kind of push your finger under the front of his foot.Most times,that will make him leave go and fall from where he was clinging.Pulling your snail off could result in injury.

I have a hard time getting mine off the tank sides as well but it is easy to lift them up when they are cruising across the gravel on the bottom. So I entice them to go down to the gravel by putting in a piece of lettuce or cucumber (held down with a weight). When they go for the food I gently lift them out (usually take the food as well so they don't mind :D ).

Hope this helps!

--sea

thanks and yea my snail will not let go no matter how much i wiggle. i even slide him around on the glass and he still wont let go. i try the food thing next time or something i try to be sooo gentle but it is very frustrateing when i cant get him off right away.

Ok...they go up over the water and will not move....I'd like to leave them there but am afraid that they might get dry ( they are still in the aquarium but not in the water ).

Is it ok to leave them there? Will they finally get back into the water on their own? Or do I watch them carefully?

i think it is safe to let them up there but you can try to slide them down the glass by putting some water w/ your finger where you will slide them(if the glass is dry) if they have been up there for a while but unless there is something wrong with them they will probably move down on their own.

• 2 weeks later...

If you snails are constantly getting out of the water, check your water quality. They can be like the classic canary in a coal mine when it comes to tank parameters. If you have multiple snails and this is happening late at night, it could be a female looking for a place to lay her eggs. Males rarely go 'walk-about' but females do it all the time.

Funny that I read this now, I just posted in another thread the best way to remove your snail. You can take your finger and 'tickle' the foot and it will let go on it's own. The more stubborn snails (like the one it sounds like you have :)) can be removed by easing an aquarium net up underneath them and sliding them upwards. They will let go.