Oooops - Cycling Again

Incandisco

Ooops, have I made a mistake.

Last week, some of you may have seen I had to empty my 10g quarantine tank because we thought it was leaking. It wasn't and so I put it all back together (same filters, same water, etc) - however, I'd been thinking for a while that there was far too much gravel in the tank, taking up valuable space that I would prefer water to take up (as we quarantine 2-3 fish at a time).

So of course, less than half the gravel back in = only half of the ammonia & nitrite absorbing bacteria back in... Result - tank cycles again. Although there are 2 actual power-filters on the tank (a Rena iV1 and a Fluval 1), they don't hold half of the bacteria, just polish the water really...

Only I didn't think about this - so although (thank goodness) my ammonia has stayed at zero, I checked yesterday, and my nitrites were 0.8 and my nitrates 17ppm after only 2 days of putting fish in the tank!

So please everyone, let that be a warning to you all - I'm now back to the 30% water changes per day, and you can't get Bio-Spira in the UK... If you are going to take out your gravel - remember that the bacteria live there! :thud

Thanks for the warning!

Its amazing how much bacteria gravel can hold, although that does not make me go out and add gravel again to my tanks, after I removed it all a couple of years ago.... :)

If your filter do not have enough media to hold an adequate amount of bacteria, did you consider switching to some other filter? Can you get Aquaclear filters in the UK? They come in different sizes, and even the smallest one holds a huge a mount of filter media and sponges...

Tank cycling is a pain in the neck, so keep up the good work, and your fish will be grateful for it! :hi

Guest gldfshkpr

Once while cycling a tank, I was curious to see how a nice chunk of seasoned driftwood would effect the Nitrites. Within minutes of placing the wood in the tank, the Nitrites disapeared. This is why I love driftwood so much. I'm considering putting these hydro sponges in my tanks as well.

Unfortunately, the tank is only a 10g and so very small. I already have 2 filters on it, and one I love (the Rena iV1) but I'm not keen on the Fluval at all.

I think I can get the Aquaclears, yes - but until now, obviously I had no need for one - now so close to Christmas, I just can't afford another filter (although I keep thinking that if one died, I would walk into the LFS and buy another no matter if I could afford it or not... Plastic has it's uses!).

I'm going to keep up the water changes and gravel vacs, and I'll be looking at other filter options in the new-year.

In the meantime, my water at least is getting better - less than 0.1ppm nitrite now, and hopefully not just because of the water changes!

Archived