Do I Have To Remove Filter Media After Medicating?

goldenlady

I have a new fish coming that I will treat with Prazipro and salt before putting it in with my other fish. My other fish (just 1) is in a 30 gallon tank and doing fine. I set up a 10 gallon to quarantine my new fish (I intended on watching it for @30 days before putting it into the 30 gallon), but now I may have two 5" fish, instead of one. If I use my 30 gallon to quarantine, instead, and it turns out that my new fish do have issues, will I need to clean the tank and the filter media in my cannister before I can put the old fish back in the 30 gallon? Anytime you treat for disease, do you have to throw out any media? Prazipro and dimilin won't harm the biological filtration, but will flukes, anchor worm, bad bacteria be dead and harmless by the time you are finished treating your fish, and if they are, is it ok to just leave everything in your filter?

I wish I could help you out here, but I was wondering the same thing myself, so I will join you in asking :lol: I have media in a QT tank that will soon be empty and dont know whether to chuck it, or make use of it.

IF you quarantine in the 30, you should probably sterilize the media at the end of the quarantine. Much media can be boiled out or sterilized with Potassium Permanganate.

I am assuming you had cycled media for the 10 gallon quarantine tank? If so, what if you just switch medias with tanks?

What about taking the media that you have in the 30 gallon tank and stuffing as much of it into the 10 gallon tank's filter. Take the 10 gallon tank's media and put it in the 30 gallon tank' filter. The left over media can be split between the 10 (in a baggie on the floor or stuffed anywhere you can) and the 30 gallon filter (in the filter). Top the 30 gallon filter off with new or sterilized media to fill it properly.

Move your "old" fish into the 10 gallon tank, where it can be safe and secure in a filtered, cycled environment. Put the two new fish in the 30. Treat as such. When you are done with the 30 as quarantine, you can clean the tank - sterilize it all, media and all...... and then reset the tank. Take the media from the 10 gallon tank (filter and floor) and stuff it into the 30 gallon tank's filter. If you wish to, you can hang the 10 gallon tank's filter on the 30 gallon tank and run both filters. With all that cycled media from the 10, your cycle shoulld not bump or if it does, it will be only a day or so. You will also never have to use "quarantine media" in a "final" tank.......

New Fishes! COOL! :D

Archived