Sign in to follow this  
Skadunkadunk7

Filter Question

I have a Penquin 200 with a biowheel and a top fin filter. My tank is still cyclying, and I saw something for aquaclear filters that removes ammonia. I can't use a second flter media in the filter because if I do, there isn't enough waterflow to spin the biowheel. I was wondering if I can use that in my biowheel filter. I was also wondering if stress-zyme by Aquarum Pharmasutecals would help cycle the tank faster.

Edited by Dave

Do you have any fish in there right now? If not, you can "feed" the tank a pinch of fishfood each day to help the cycle. Without ammonia the tank cant cycle.

Ok, Id do a 50% water change right away. I wouldnt use that ammonia remover stuff from Aquaclear. There is a product called Prime that detoxifies ammonia and nitrIte. Its good for normal water changes and super good if youre cycling.

I agree with glitterfish. The stuff that removes ammonia can also prevent your tank from cycling properly (because it removes the ammonia from the cycle), need to be changed with some regularity & you can't use salt while it is in (which means that if your fish gets ill - you may cycle again. Probably not the time you want to be trying to do that.). What happens is that the ammonia remover eventually will re-release the ammonia back into the water (if it's not changed) & will re-release all at once all of the ammonia if you use it at the same time that you use salt.

I too think that Prime is a great water conditioner & a tremendous help during cycling .

While I was cycling, I tried to keep my ammonia & nitrite levels under 1.0 (still high I know, but if you knew the water changes that went into that...sheesh.) That's when I found Prime. You sound by your levels that you're well into the cycle. I think I'd just "tough it out" at this point.

If you want to, you could salt your tank to 1% to try to help your keep your fishies gills healthy during the nitrite phase of the cycle. (I use the 1 teaspoon per gallon rule = 1%). If you do choose to salt your tank - remember to only put back into your tank what you took out (ie if you do a 5 gal change, only put in 5 teaspoons. Do not salt for the entire tank volume everyday/every waterchange-salt is only removed with water changes & does not evaporate. You can quickly oversalt a tank that way.)

Good Luck & enjoy your fish! :D Jenn

:exactly

One thing though, you want .1% not 1%. :D

I always forget that little decimal point!! Thanks glitterfish!

Dave - the dose amount I gave you is correct for .1%, I just forgot the all important decimal point! (Wouldn't want you to think it was OK to salt to 1%!!!!! Whoops sorry about that!!!)

:ignore Jenn

:lol: I always forget it too! Darn confusing decimals!! :hmm