Sign in to follow this  
El Pez

What Does Goldfish Mating Look Like?

i was just wondering what goldfish mating looks like and if u could tell me a few facts. I was just wondering because 2 of my goldfish are acting in a strange behavior and chasing eachother ina playfull kind of way and there touching eachother all the time.

at first the male chases the female then the female layes the eggs then the male put spearm in the water and makes all the water go cloudy then sit and wate

are there restrictions to how big the goldfish have to be? cause mine are pretty small and have been chasing for about a month now.

it depends what type of fish they are but normally they have to be a couple of inches (2-3 years) before they can breed successfully

Guest FishFan

Well, looks like there gonna be mateing soon. :thud . The male chases the female and nudges her. Then the female spews out the egs and the male fertileises them.But i don't know how to care for fish fry, so you'll have to look to someone else on that. :panana

Guest OzzMosiz
Well, looks like there gonna be mateing soon.

<snip>

.But i don't know how to care for fish fry, so you'll have to look to someone else on that. :panana

Keeping fry is a lot of effort. I have 48 fry at the moment - it takes up about an hour

a day at the moment (and one in 4-5 days probably about 1.5 (to change the tub and wash out the dirty one). Once they start getting bigger, then the effort is likely to double as housing them will increase!

Guest Flipper

We didnt do anything special for ours. Decided to let mother nature look after them. They are only about 4 weeks old and already an inch or so long and swimming with the bigger fish. They are really cute.

My goldfishes act the same way. The bigger one keeps on chasing the smaller one and keeps on nudging her all the time. But they're still around an inch long. I checked them both out and luckily, no fins were nipped. But i don't see any of them laying eggs. What could this mean? The bigger one chases the smaller one all day. They don't seem to get tired of it.

Guest FishFan

Hey mailboxck-

maybe there paying. there would be eggs by now if theyre mateing.

:panana

Guest FishFan

Forget that last part. It takes a while for them to mate.