Sign in to follow this  
fisharenewtome

I'm So Glad I'm Done

I just had to share . I just spent close to 3 hours cleaning & re-tubing my 58 gallon!!!! Oy!!!!! I have been hanging upsidedown in the cabinet under my tank close to the whole time!! I guess the fish will be happier but.... my back!!! :rofl

(The Fluval tubing that came with the filter was totally covered in algae & sludge. I remember reading about using clear tubing from Home Depot BUT...somehow I didn't remember anything about how stiff it would be (can you say hairdryer???) Looks good right now. (I have to go & get the clamps though - I must have been in an alternate universe & I let the guy talk me into metal. Now I ask - WHERE WAS MY BRAIN?? :unsure: )

(so I decided I'm just taking the time to post. Time off for good behavoir :D )

Goodness the board looks all sharp & new.

I've missed everyone so much!!! Hopefully things will calm down soon & I'll be on more....guess I'm off to check out the rest of the boards!!!

:heart Jenn

I know exactly what your saying! I moved three weeks ago with my two tanks (29g and 15g)... and last week I changed from three aquaclear power filters to an XP2 Rena canister filter. What was that about the clear tubing? I got mine with clear tubing and was wondering how much time would pass before it became green!

I am soooo frustrated with the tubing available. I am happy to have the "super stiff" thick walled stuff for running filters, but I certainly wish there was some with a little more plasticizer in it for replacing syphon tubing! Here, all I get is the thick walled stuff (too stiff) or the thin walled stuff (collapses at the first bend!)

May your tubing stay clear, Jenn, and yours, Kingyo, grow wonderous green algae! ;):)

Daryl - I'm with you . It was quite the trip trying to bend that tubing the way I needed it to bend. I'll take it over the ribbed stuff though. I was getting pretty frustrated with the whole clean the tank ...turn on the filter...clean the tank again. The first time that cloud fluffed out the outflow.....I think my eyes just about bugged outta my head!

Kingyo - The Fluval came with gray ribbed tubing. The ribs catch all the gunk & hold it there until water (with force!) comes through. I even tried holding the python against the outflow while I had someone else plug in the filter.

I'm glad its done though. The fish look much happier. That tank has more algae than any other in my house. I'm not quite sure why it does though (no direct sunlight to any of the tanks). I'm hoping I can spot the gunk now & be more proactive in cleaning the tubing!!!

:D Jenn

Sounds like a lot of work Jenn! Im sure it will all pay off in the end though. :)

:lol: Hey Jenn!!! Long time no see! It's been ages.I thought you ran away with a Girl Scout Troop or something! :rofl

Hope to see you around some more.Would love to hear an update on the girls and all your fish and tanks. We've missed you! :heart

Have any of you looked into lab supply tubing? Cole-Palmer sells a lot of different types and sizes of tubing for industrial and lab applications. I am not sure if they sell to everybody or just companies. Take a look in their catalog at

Cole-palmer

I order all of the tubing for my reactors from there.

I got some nice tubing at H*me Dep*t & it was really inexpensive! It is about the same as the tubing on the Python! I wanted to extend a couple of my filter intakes to the bottom on the smaller tank. So I just went to "that store" with my intake tube in my hand, tested the sizes, found a match that fit perfectly & bought about 5 feet of it! Actually there was some pieces already cut that were marked down & I snapped them up too! I ended up only spending a few dollars on the whole purchase! :)

Jenn, you are too funny. I so enjoyed our chat, good to have you back.