Attack Of The Grindy, Poopy Filters!

jen626

• Supporter

I posted a week ago or so about one of my Emperor 280 filters that was making noise, grindy type noises and not sucking up enough water. Everyone was very kind trying to help me with the problem and after doing some of those suggestions it seemed to be fixed. YAY! :D

Then, while I was in Montana on vacation, my fiance called and said one of the filters was sounding funny, and held the phone up to it. I was like, "Yeah, it does that, hopefully it'll stop," thinking he would have trouble taking it apart and reassembling it. It thankfully stopped doing it that night.

Well, last night it stared making that noise like crazy for hours, keeping me up and everything. I kept pouring water into it, it would stop for a minute and then as soon as I walked away it would start up again. I had already taken the whole thing apart and cleaned it so I was about to give up. I took the Bio-wheel off and floated it in the tank and started to take the cartridge/sponge out to place in some tank water to keep the bacteria ok for awhile.

What do I find? A HUGE drinking straw is all folded up and crammed into the filter cartridge, and has been in there long enough that it actually has crud growing on it! :yikes Of course, once the straw was removed and the cartridge was replaced, everything was working rather well. As to how that straw got in there, I have NO CLUE, it must've been in there the last time I had trouble and I somehow missed it?

SO, I am all happy about that and then about an hour ago my OTHER Emperor 280 starts doing the same thing! I start working on conspiracy theories and thinking about who wants to sabotage my fish tank, expecting to pull another straw out of the second filter. So I pull out the cartridge and notice that all of a sudden the filter is full of water again and not making horrible noises. Then I actually LOOK at the filter cartridge and realize that it is so crammed with muck that it is probably the cause of the filter noises and problems. DUH!

So here is the GOOD part...I realized that with everyone's help (especially yours Daryl!) that I am now confident enough in my cycle that I marched right over to my kitchen sink, turned on steaming hot, chlorinated water and blasted the heck out of the cartridge. My that felt good! Second filter problem solved.

DISCLAIMER: I know most of you will think I have gone insane after posting this story, but for those of you who know me, and know that I am already insane, you can just laugh. :exactly

It was late at night. Jen had been watching a very scary movie and her fiance wanted to really scare her. So he waited until after the movie was over, snuck into the fish room and jammed a drinking straw into the filter. This caused strange, scary grinding noises that kept Jen awake with nightmares. This was beneficial for her fiance, though, for she sought him out for comfort. :yeah:

Unbeknownst to Jen, one of her fish is really a lush. He has a drinking problem. Every night he would use a straw to reach out of the tank and suck dry the glass that was sitting beside the tank. One night, Jen came out to get a late night snack - and he was nearly caught doing it. He quickly jammed the straw into the filter so no one would know of his alcoholic addiction. The good thing that has come from this is that, since he has never been able to get ahold of another straw, the fish is now on the wagon and has not had a drink in weeks. :yeah:

Hilarious-!!! Jen's stories and her titles that pull me in- and Daryls conspiracy theories :rofl .Tooo much.

Where do you get that all from daryl- I'm thinking its your cats, they are behind all of this...the story really goes like this; daryls cats made their way (snuck up in the night when daryl thought they were watching TV-they left it on using the remote to cover their tracks) and did the dirty straw deed so that Jen would make this post and daryl would make the fish is a lush plot which is in fact the cats wicked plan because they want Jen to get rid of that lush...give it up right away to them who will take good purrrrfect care of it :yeah: !

But the plot was foiled! Jen was not to be fooled- she found the straw and all is quiet again....

for miaow

Good grief! I think you know my cats very well!!!!

When I got back from my daughter's wedding, the TV was on to Animal Planet. They were all watching.

I would not put it past them to have hatched a plot like that. Hadron would think it up, Daryl is the heavy that manages the transportation and Bif is the thug that does the dirty work.

Miss Fur just sits and looks pretty and waits for the free sushi and diamonds............

Watch out JEN! Here they come!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl

:rofl That sure sounds about right.I had to laugh about poor Bif.I too have always thought him to be "The Thug".I think I own Bif's long lost brother- T,or TBone,for he too is the thug that does all the dirty deeds around here. You gotta watch those Cats....The "Cat Mafia" is bigger than most people realize. Thank god my Parrot doesn't talk....I can just imagine all the stories that I'd hear! :rofl What's funny ,is that he doesn't really talk,but if you look at him and ask where the kitty is,he'll let out a big Meow. :lol:

Those cats....never take them for granted for they really are the "Masterminds" in the house! :rofl3

Anyway Jen,I'm glad that you got those filter's under control.I love their performance,but man,when they start that noise crap,it really grinds at my nerves! :rofl

• Supporter

:rofl This is too much!

We haven't even figured in the fact that my cats probably played a part in this too! I am sure they are in collusion with Daryl's cats through the underground catroad and this is all part of some major plot against fish and humankind. First a straw, next a cup of bleach and then...who knows? The possibilities are endless and I am becoming very scared. :blowup:

Edited by jen626