Sign in to follow this  
2befree

Spotted Raphael Question.

Hi All,

I have 2 spotted raphael fish in 30 gal. long with 3 goldies. The blackmoor has a white spot on its mouth. I would like to treat with salt. Just need to know if the raphael catfish can tolerate salt in the water.

Catfish don't generally do well with salt. If the white spot is a scrape or cut of some sort try Melefix as an alternative.

OK, If that is the best way to go I will get some Melefix tommorow. Thanks :)

Hi,

I went to the lps today and they gave me Primafix when I specifically asked for Melafix! :thud

Anyway I didn't notice until I got home. Primafix says it treats mouth fungus so I used it anyway. Hope it works. Will let you all know how it goes.

I had one Striped Raphael for 3 years and he lived in a 10 gallons tank that was salted. It was never a problem and he was extremelly healthy. Right now, I have two Striped Raphaels in a 29 (30) gallons tank and it was previously salted and they did extremelly well. I've decided to take out salt, because of some real plants.

Did you say your Raphael is in the tank with the Goldies??? The PH will be way to high for any Raphaels, plus the Raphaels like warmer water.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong? If Raphaels can be in a Goldfish tank and adjust to the PH very well and accept the temperature, then I'll be putting my two Raphaels into the Goldfish tank. Kinda scary...

I myself don't salt the tanks with those fish in it. Raphael's are on the main list for fish that don't do well with salt.Although some people seem to fare well using it,I have not done so with my fish. :)

2befree,how's your fish doing? :unsure: