Sign in to follow this  
disaster999

Ammonia Climbing

i have my hospital tank for about more than a month now, and my goldfish is doing fine, but the water isnt. i have 2 hob filter which does 20gph for a 15 gal tank so im good there. i did small water changes in the paste because nitrate and nitrite still havent been really building up yet. but ive been waiting and waiting and my ammonia level is still climbing and not really dropping. my nitrate and nitrites are still only minimal. i was thinking of adding water from my main tank to the hospital tank just to boost up the nitrate level. and see if that helps.

what else could i do to sort things out? i have a bio wheel filter, and a topfin filter. i dont think there are enough bio filtrating going on....

:unsure: If you're having any kind of Nitrate reading,it sounds like you've cycled and now aren't doing big enough water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites at 0. What are your actual readings on these? :unsure:

i think nitrate is 5ppm nitrite is 0.1ppm ammonia is in between the "stressed" and "danger" zone. i really dont remember the reading on it.

well i did a 33% water change, seeing if it actually helps lower the ammonia a little or not....and it stated the same. i have the mardel instant read monitors and i tried it in my main tank and it does show 0 ammonia so i know its working. should i keep doing small little water change every other day or do another big water change? i dont want to change out too much where it takes more time for the nitrate and stuff to grow back again.

THe NItrAtes are the end product of the cycle. I wouldn't add tank water just to get NItrAtes. (In a cycled tank they're what you're removing with the water changes since the bacteria are handling the nitrIte & ammonia).

It could be that you're still partially cycling. Have you tested your tap water to see how it reads (mine comes with all sorts of bad stuff like ammonia & nitrate along with the clorine)?

I'd continue with the small water changes based upon the test readings.

I'm glad your fishie is doing better!!!

Hope this helps - Jenn

First - as stated, you never really want nitrAtes in the tank water. With a nitrogen cycle, however, you will get them. The purpose of water changes, in a cycled tank, is to lower the nitrAtes to a small enough concentration that they do not bother the fish.

Next - I am assuming you mean your filter turns over 200 gph? 20gph is not enough. :yeah:

In a cycling tank, you will see the ammonia climb. This is natural. Without good water changing habits during cycling, you will see ammonia climb even as you start to see nitrItes and even some nitrAtes. Is it possible that you are getting the small amount of nitrAte from your tap water?

I would suggest:

1. Test your tap water for nitrAtes. (ammonia and nitrite would not hurt either)

2. Realize that 0.1ppm ammonia is not that toxic to the fish. Any reading at 0.25ppm or less of ammonia or nitrIte is ok. After you change out the water, add some Prime or Amquel+ to the tank's water to carry it over until the next change.

3. Do not be afraid of changing out a whole lot more water at each change and changing EVERY day, if necessary to get the ammonia under 0.25ppm and the nitrItes under 0.25ppm. The fish will always add more ammonia for the beneficial bacteria to use.

4. The Mardel Instant Read monitor is a good tool to use to notify you of unexpected problems. It is, however, not a very accurate way of reading the ACTUAL ppm of ammonia concentrations. I suggest that, at least while you are cycling, that you get a drop test kit. They are FAR more accurate than the constant monitor or even the dip strip tests. That way you should be able to get a lot closer to the true reading - 0.25? 0.50? 1.00? The differences are extremely important to your fish! When you say you change out the water, but the readings do not change - it shows again at the lack of sensitivity of the monitor. If you have 1.0ppm ammonia and you change 33% of the water -you will still have 0.66ppm ammonia ia a tank. On a monitor, that is greater than 0.50, so it tends to read towards the 1.0 and less towards the 0.0 end of the monitor. You need a test with greater sensitivity. Also, realize that 0.66ppm ammonia is STILL too much. If you have a reading of 1.0 ammonia, you should change at least 75% of the water to get it at or below 0.25ppm.

5. Check to see if you DO have proper filtration. You have 2 filters? Or one filter? Is it 200gph or something else? What media do you have besides a bio-wheel? Bio-wheels are fine, but they take quite a while to get a good colony of beneficial bacteria built up. They also have nice surface area - but no way near the amount that you will find in sintered glass, or ceramic cylindars or even sponges. Boost the bio-media and your tank will be happier, too.

:)

there is no ammonia in my tap water. i tested that already. i guess i shouldnt be afraid and just change out the water everyday until the situation is under control.

as for the filter, i have a bio wheel mini and a topfin filter. both are salvaged and free. i would want to get a better filter with more bio filtration but since its a hospital tank i wouldnt really want to spend any more money on a new filter, i might get those biomax pouches from aquaclear and stick them in both my filter just to boost up the bio filtration. the media for filter is quite simple. for the biowheel, i just used whatever the filter suppose to use. cut a slit in the foam and took out all the carbon. the topfin filter only has the blue foam on it. so i guess my biofiltration is minimal or lack there of.

just went to vvvv and got my water tested..and ammonia level is around 2-3ppm. ive been changing my water everyday and ammonia is still present. i put in more bio media for bacteria to grow a few days ago.

should i follow their advice and add the amonia lock stuff or wait a few days and see if the bacteria is doing their thing?

How many fish in this tank hun??

theres 2...my big moor..and this tiny comet that i got for cycling.

the thing is, i used to have 6 fish in there...and half the filtration..and never had the ammonia problem

ANYONE?

add the ammonia filter thing..or just let the bateria deal with it?

there is no ammonia in my tap water. i tested that already. i guess i shouldnt be afraid and just change out the water everyday until the situation is under control.

as for the filter, i have a bio wheel mini and a topfin filter. both are salvaged and free. i would want to get a better filter with more bio filtration but since its a hospital tank i wouldnt really want to spend any more money on a new filter, i might get those biomax pouches from aquaclear and stick them in both my filter just to boost up the bio filtration. the media for filter is quite simple. for the biowheel, i just used whatever the filter suppose to use. cut a slit in the foam and took out all the carbon. the topfin filter only has the blue foam on it. so i guess my biofiltration is minimal or lack there of.

If I read this right you have a tank that is only for a hospital and not a perminate tank right?

so if thats the case then I would be doing 30% water changes every 2-3 days to keep the ammonia down.....

ANYONE?

add the ammonia filter thing..or just let the bateria deal with it?

what is all your levels now?

If I read this right you have a tank that is only for a hospital and not a perminate tank right?

so if thats the case then I would be doing 30% water changes every 2-3 days to keep the ammonia down.....

yes this is a hospital tank. the thing is ive been doing water changes everyday and the ammonia didnt go down. and i want to resolve this problem as i have an oranda with dropsy right now :krazy: i posted this on the 911 section.

what is all your levels now?

ammonia didnt change, 2-3ppm. nitrate is ~20ppm, nitrite is ~0.5ppm