New Fish Died... Pale Gills.

cjumper

Hi, y'all.

Tonight I found a new addition dead in the tank. We quarantined him for 3 weeks, did salt baths twice during that time, and he was looking healthy and full of flouncy attitude when we put him in the main tank a few days ago. (Rats rats rats, why didn't I treat him with Prazi?)

He was a big plump black oranda with a high top sail and long tail fins. He was fine this morning. When I found him tonight, he had been dead for a few hours at most. His gills were white-pale and there was some watery bloody stuff coming out of his vent.

######!

What have I exposed the other fish to?

We have no detectable ammonia or nitrites, and the nitrates are between 10 and 15. We change 25% at least weekly. Water is *extremely* hard here. We are running 75 gallons in the tank plus 10 more in a trickle filter, plus an Eheim filter rated at 92 gallons as a polishing filter. There are 2 dojos and 6 fancy goldfish in the tank, 2 4"+ and the rest maybe 2". The set-up has been stable for about 3 years.

We got the new fish to replace an old favorite of about the same 4-5" length. He apparently died of various tumours.

So, what do I do now? Prazi for all?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Caroline in San Jose

Hi Caroline - i'm sorry you lost your guy :(

If the gills were pale then this would point to either parasites or chronic disease but i'm betting on flukes or as a second guess, costia - especially as these 2 can cause hemorrhages in the gills. Whether it's flukes (high possibility) or costia you could go with a blanket treatment of salt at 0.3% and prazi especially if your tank has been exposed.

Is there any chance of a scrape?

I'm not set up to examine scrapes, I'm embarrassed to say.

I'd thought about flukes, but not of costia. Thank you for the suggestion! Tonight I dosed the tank with Prazi and 1 tsp/gal of salt. I'll add more salt tomorrow and the next day.

Rats rats rats ###### ###### ######! I'm so sorry to have lost such a beautiful fish, and to have endangered my other cuties.

Thanks again,

Caroline in San Jose

It's just stinking rotton luck but if a anything good is to come out of this, it won't happen again. I did the same thing about a year ago and believe me, quarantine is nothing short of 2 months from now on :(

Keep us posted on their progress - but together, the salt and prazi should knock it on the head :)