Columnaris Or Oodinium?

toothless

i have a fully grown comet named lurch. hes in a 20 gallon low tank. waterfall filter. air stone. some silk plants. gravel. daylight spectrum light.

about a month ago my nitro cycle crashed. i overfed and under cleaned. i know, i got lazy and let it slip. lurch got sick. he had tail rot and red streaks wich i treated with tetracycline. he started getting better. after i did another water change, he relapsed. the tail rot came back with blisters on his tail. i then treated with maracyn-plus,maroxy and maracide. the blisters popped within 30 mins of treatment and every thing cleared up.

the only thing left after treatment now is this pearly tinge on his body. you can see it really well when you look up at him from down low. it seems to be concentrated on his back right under his dorsal fin. here it is more opaque. he also seems to have a bit of this on his tail as well. none of my meds seem to help.

along with the white stuff he likes to sit under the waterfall at night. he has somewhat labored breathing. not gasping but opening and closing his mouth constantly. clamped fins 20% of the time. mainly at night. flashing and scraping every couple of hours for like a minute or two. still eats fine. no redness. no cottony tufts from mouth. no visible parasites. i havent checked his gills but i will when i perform another salt dip. the white stuff is not protruding or cottony. it is pretty well stuck to him because salt dips do not allow him to slough it off. i even tried to help with a q-tip once to no avail.

i have scoured the internet for info on gf disease and only found two things i think it could be: columnaris or oodinium. does anybody have any clue to what this stuff is that has me (and lurch) so stressed out. this trial and error stuff is like pulling teeth!!!!!!!!! :huh:

i hope that somebody knows something cause im at my wits end! :thud

ok, yesterday i noticed lurch going into his little 30 second darting/scratching fit. when he stopped he acted like he had something stuck in his mouth. he "coughed" a couple of times and out came some cottony, thready, slimelike stuff. i then realized that i have seen this stuff stuck to some of the plastic plants. could this be the sign ive been looking for? im pretty sure its columnaris now. is it? i have allready begun treatment w/maracyn (original) bacause its the only mardel product that claims to treat columnaris. will this be enough to clear it up? maracynII treats internally. could i use maracyn and maracynII at the same time? im thinking about doing a couple of water changes and switching to Jungles parasite clear/fungus clear at the same time. ive noticed that jungle uses different active ingredients like formalin and whatnot. they also claim to treat internally as well.

my params are still doing well. aside from my nitrites being @ 50.

ive also added a heater to his tank. should i keep the temp at 78-80 during the .3% salt and med treatment?

i thank you all and look forward to a reply soon!!

Is it your nitri*I*tes or your nitra*A*tes that are at 50? If that was not a typo and your nitrites are 50, water quality is your biggest problem.

A lot of your symptoms indicate parasites could be present, though the white stuff is certainly a sign of bacterial infection (columnaris). Since there is still some question as to whether or not parasites are present, I would *not* suggest you raise the temp.

thanks again happygoldfish. :hi are you the same one that is helping me on gps disease forum? if so, double thanks. my nitrAtes are the ones at 50. though i did have a bit of a nitrite spike 2 days ago. water changes are alleiviating this problem. i guess with all the meds i had in the water were tweaking my nitro cycle a bit. i have been adding stress-zyme to every water change (.5 tsp to 5 gal) to give it a boost. is this acceptable? or should i only add once a week?

• 1 year later...

Paul, my goodness not Lurch!! He is a favorite around here. Of course I won't be of help to you, just want to say "hang in there, and I hope he gets better". :hug

OH gosh how embarrasing, I now see that this is a old thread that "re appeared". I do hope all is well though. :blink:

Wow! Blast from the past! :blink:

As it turned out, this was just before I started to notice the telltale threads of columnaris blowing in and out of his mouth (not the excess slime I was seeing him cough up). I realized what I was up against and hit him with maracide, maracyn 1 and 2. I forgot all about the maroxy (stabilized chlorides) once I realized fungus was not the problem. I lowered the concentrations of the dips to 1.5% so he could go longer and it cleared the heavy slime coat greatly within 3 days. The beginning of his recovery was just around the corner! :D

As it turned out, Lurch had a few different parasites get to him. I'm certain that it was flukes and possibly costia. Once I got praziquantel, I knew flukes were there because he rebounded fabulously within a week. But later resurgences still leaves me with a prazi bill to date. I must have a particularly resiliant strain of flukes or something. To date, I have yet to identify a single fluke from the filteror the gravel bed. Half hearted (for fear of injury, Lurch is ten inches plus now!) skin scrapes reveal nothing as well. Recently, I aquired some clove oil so I will put Lurch under and perform a scrape of his gills. I have special, round, coverslips to do this with too. Hopefully, I will at least be able to view the culprits that have costed me such heartache.

Anyway, this was towards the middle of my trauma with lurch. He wound up losing half of his tail to the ever-aggressive blister-rot of the tail until the maracyns did their trick. Truthfully, I owe most of my success in all that to salt dips. Thats why I am such an advocate of its use in most treatments.

If I were you, I would put them all in a bare tank with good filtration, many 3% salt dips, wide spectrum med such as jungles parasite clear and add extra prazi. I wouldn't let up for a good month. I mean, a break for a day or two in between rounds of parasite clear would be nice too. To avoid an chance of it coming back, I feel that aggressive measures are needed, you know? :huh: Heck, you wouldn't even need a cycled filter if you were to run ammo-chips in it. I believe if you use enough and change them out completely (or recharge) every 3-4 days, you wouldn't see the first hint of ammonia......

Whatever your doing to clear it up, I wish you all the luck in the world! Your goldies are very special and I hate to hear that they are ill. :crp

Paul

Hi Paul, poor Lurch - with all those blisters and what not he's been through the wars. Glad to hear he is on the mend.

Something you may wish to look into. One of my moors kept doing the flashing thing and scraping his gills on the gravel - just now and then every couple of days. No others shared this behaviour and it continued for a few weeks regardless of Sterazin treatment for flukes.

I was searching somewhere (can't remember where, probably Koivet) and came across this "thing" it's not a parasite, more like a sort of fungal thing but I can't remember what it's called. (Gee - I'm so useful - not) Anyway when it spored you could see wee little threads coming out of the gills. After all those weeks I hadn't seen these things, then bingo! Treatment is a malachite medication which I did and my moor has been fine since.

Thanks Paul. :)

So it turned out to be bacterial. Symptoms sure sounded similar.

It'll be interesting to see if any flukes turn up on your gill scrape.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten rid of any flukes.

I bought a tub today, but it's only 30 gallons and I'm leery of putting everyone in it. Since velvet has a lifecycle similar to ich. I was tempted to do a bucket to bucket treatment, but my tap water has 2.5ppm ammonia in it, so that's really not do-able. A week or so age, they had .6% salt dips and spent a week in .39% salt which cleared the costia just fine. Coco had the yellow sheen going then on one of his fins, so the .6% dip and the .39% bath didn't touch the velvet.

I PPd the tank yesterday to 2.5ppm which should have knocked them down. Haven't seen any flashing today. I would continue treating with PP cuz it kills about everything, but I'm out and haven't been able to find a source locally. Started Quick cure today and have a 1 micron filter in there to try and filter out any swarmers.

Here are pics of the scrapes and goldies.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y130/DataGuru/Velvet/

Betty,

Velvet it is, isn't it? :(

I'm sure the PP is going to do the trick for you. Heck, salt dips would be on my list too (as usual ;) ). Let us know how it goes..........

Annette,

I think you might be referring to columnaris. Its caused by the "flexbacter" and looks like fine strings or rods under a micro at 400X plus. Or is it epistylus your thinking of? If so, its a petriarch that isn't actually a parasite. It just attaches itself to the fish at the site of recent injury and lives of nitrAtes in the water. It looks sort of like a wineglass in the end of a string at 400X plus.

Either way, Lurch hasn't had anything like what he had before. Just the occasional twitching or flashing if I run out of prazi for a bit. My god, you would think that after all the prazi I've dumped in there, any fluke within a mile of my house should be dead. And too boot, I am happy to say that I have handled enough of it to be sure that I am tapeworm free!!! :blink::o:lol:

Hi Paul, I found that "thing" I was referring to on 'fishfarmacy' - gill disorders. It was saproglenia fungal infection, treatment - formalin-green, acriflavine neutral.

btw - glad to hear you're tapeworm free! :lol:

Archived