Philadendrons As Aquarium Plants

joneus

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have tried putting philodendron in their tanks? Have you ever had a problem? Do GF even try to eat them? I've done a little research and have gotten conflicting info on whether or not its safe (being that its toxic to cats). I've grown it in jars of water with no real trouble, but have never added fish to the equation... somehow I just cant bring myself to get a feeder GF as a science experiment. thanks!

I have used Philodendron for years, inside and outside the tank. With inside I mean the plant fully submerged in the water, just floating around as it pleases. With that way I never noticed any growing of the plant, although the fish tried to nibble on it here and there, a few bite marks, but they pretty much left it alone.

Now, with outside the tank I mean just the roots dangling in the tank water, the rest of the plant is outside, growing on top and around the tank. Given some kind of indirect light, either close to a window or some growing light hanging above the tank, the plant does really well, and keeps on growing like nuts. I have to cut it down to keep it in shape.... :)

Well, I've tried it... so far, so good. I started by putting it in my platy tank and so far its been the one plant they havent devoured. :rolleyes: They've done well with it (they love swimming under and around the vines and leaves!), so my big plant will get a haircut tonight, and I'll start decorating my GF tanks with it. Yeay! Cheap aquarium plants!

Ooohhh.... decorating idea: I want to use an empty Heineken (beer) bottle to plant my philadendrons on my fishtank... how do I make sure they're clean enough to put in the tank? Would boiling them be enough? Anxiously awaiting an opinion... Thanks!

Archived