10 Female Bettas In A 20 Gallon Tank

Torbe

Hi,

I just got done talking with my older brother who is away at college and he just got a 20 gallon tank recently. He is interested in getting some female bettas for it and I was wondering if that tank would be too big or if he she go ahead and get ten female bettas or something like that. Thank you.

I think a 20g sorority tank would work out perfectly. I've seen pictures of up to 55g sorority tanks and they seemed happy and healthy. I think I'd probably go with maybe 7-8 girls so they have a little extra room. I'm not sure about that though so hopefully someone with more experience will be able to step in and help further.

There are a few people on here who keep all-female betta tanks, I think Sushi does.

From reading around, I've heard of 5 females in a 10 gallon before, so I don't see why you couldn't have up to 10 in a 20 gallon tank?

Maybe a few less would be better in terms of each betta have their own hiding space/territory, which I know is quite important with female tanks.

I know you can have too few females in a tank for it to work OK, but I'm not sure if you can have too many. Hopefully, someone else can confirm it for you. Sounds like a very nice idea anyway :)

I think I would start out with say five and and gradually add a female at a time untill you got up to ten. Most females do fine together in a community tank. But you might come accross and odd female that might be a fighter. less change of territorial issuses starting with a smaller number. That way you can watch how they interact each time you add a new one.