Moving With Tropicals

gialeigh

Well, Chris thinks we are going to be moving sooner than we thought. We arent going to wait until the house is sold. As soon as the army releases us we are going to move, so probably one a few weeks.

Now that I have my tropical babies, Im worried about moving them. I moved my goldfish from CA to TX just fine. Im not worried about them.

I feel like the tropicals may be a bit more delicate, so Im worried.

When I moved my goldies last time, they all went in a rubbermaid tub half filled with water with ammo chips in there. The water was changed daily.

This time I think we are going to get a 5 gallon fishing bucket. I am going to have a LOT less fish to transport this time. Only 5 goldies. I came here with 14, leaving with 5. :( Some of them I gave to a good friend with a pond and some are in my pond. The rest I am taking.

Anyway, do you think I could just put the tropicals in the bucket with the goldies? They will have airation, of course. I plan on putting a bag of ammo chips in there to help with the ammonia since there will be no filter. Ill change that every 2 days or so. The water will be changed 1 gallon at every rest stop. I really hope this will work ok. What do you think? I really dont have many other options besides getting rid of them.

Edited by gia_ekdahl

I would keep the tropicals in a separate bucket if you can. They'll already be pretty stressed, and suddenly introducing 5 monster fish (to them anyways) will only cause more stress. You have mostly livebearers and loaches, right? I'd use the same method as the goldfish. Are you bringing the plants with you too? All your other pets? Man thats a lot of animals. How many days will it be? I hope all goes well :heart

EDIT: It will probably be of great use to bring a small bottle of prime along the way. That will definately help with ammonia. Are you going to try and save the bio-media? Dump it right next to the aeration and at least most will survive the trip.

Edited by Kissy

Im going to try to save the media. I did it ok last time, with only a little bump in the cycle. I put the media in bags with tank water and lots of air. Ill probably do that again.

It will probably be two days driving, but the fish could be in the bucket much longer. Until we are all moved. We may have to stay at my MIL home for a few weeks. It will be alot of work trying to keep them happy but I did it once, I can do it again.

I will take your advice about the tropicals and see if I can get another bucket. Yes, its livebears and two loaches.

I will take the prime too. :) Good idea

I think you're fish will be just fine, in fact I don't think you even need to do as much as you're suggesting. I have gotten fish from the mail and all of them came to me alive, 2 day trip in much smaller volumes of water. Changing the water as often as you're suggesting should get rid of any ammonia, I don't think you will need the chips. Just make sure that when you change the water it is the same temp and everything. Don't feed the fish a couple days before you go, this will cut down on waste and the fish will do just fine. I would move the tropicals seperate from the goldfish if you can though. If you can I would actually suggest useing a cooler for the move, it gives them more space and has a lid and will help maintain the same temperature. If you can find one you might even be able to get a battery powered aerator.

Last time we used a regular airator and we had an outlet thing that we could plug into our ciggarette lighter so that worked out just fine. :)

vesuvan, you'll need 100 or 200 posts to pm. You could start a new thread instead and title it for sandtiger :)

Gia, first of all congrats on the move- it is all coming round really fast. Sounds like you've got everything covered too. I'd agree with the others about the extra air (if you can use the car cig lighter as you say thats fantasic- we used a battery pumped one and the batteries ran out really soon :o )and also keeping them in the dark - a lidded bucket or freezer box. Both those things will destress them. And don't feed them till you arrive :)

I have this image of you all zooming down the highway with animals piled high in the car and peering out windows! :lol:

Thanks! Oh Im getting more and more nervous! LOL I really wanted to take my hens with me, but there is no way hubby is allowing me to stuff all my fish, one dog, two cats and 17 chickens in my car!!! :( Im gonna miss my girls. Oh well I believe Ive found a good home for them.

Thanks for all the help on moving my tropicals, guys! It went really well with the goldfish last time, so hopefully I will be able to move them with the tropicals and everyone will make it in one piece (including me).