What Do You Do When You Go On A Trip?

YokulX

Hello all,

I'm going to be on a cruise for 10 days and I was wondering what I should do for my fish? I'm thinking of using 7 day gel food...or those treasure chest things? I just moved recently and really don't know anyone around here so I can't really ask someone to take care of them for me...suggestions?

I think if you leave the lights off in the tank for the entire time you'll be gone, it'd be all right for them to go without eating. Make sure you clean your tank really well and change most of the water before you go! Those "weekend feeders" tend to make your tank really messy, and they don't last as long as they say they do! It'd be best to have someone care for your fishes while you're away, but I don't think there'd be any harm in them staying by themselves as long as you intend to be gone. Feed your fishes a lot the few days before you leave, to kinda give them a chance to build up some fatty stores, then taper the feedings before you leave so they don't go into shock and starve! They may be a little skinnier when you get home, but they'll be all right. =D

Guest shappers

i live away from home - so when i do go home for xmas - i leave my fish alone for about 10 days or so - i actually dont feed them at all!! poor things - but i hear so many horror stories about weekend feerders and stuff - its easier to let them go a few days without food - i heard that naturally they can go quite a while - even up to 3 weeks without food...someone correct me if i am wrong tho...

i live away from home - so when i do go home for xmas - i leave my fish alone for about 10 days or so - i actually dont feed them at all!! poor things - but i hear so many horror stories about weekend feerders and stuff - its easier to let them go a few days without food - i heard that naturally they can go quite a while - even up to 3 weeks without food...someone correct me if i am wrong tho...

You're right, most fish can go a very long time without food. Humans can go two weeks and fish being cold blooded don't process food like we do. In the wild fish often go long periods without food, particularly when spawning season comes around, migrating or dureing the winter months.

Don't use the feeder blocks, I have heard so many horror stories about those, people coming home to dead fish and high ammonia levels. Just make sure you feed them a nice decent amount before you go and clean the tank.

Even if you are going to fast the fish the 10 days you are gone, do NOT feed them extra before you go. Every bit of food that goes into the fish will come out of the fish and end up in the tank as nitrate. This can build up to amazing amounts by the time you return - definately not a good thing. Feed them normally and then do not feed them.

If you do have someone to feed them, but not change them, have them fed VERY lightly every other day or every 3rd day only. Put the food in a small pill minder container - the kind with one compartment for each day. Put the food in only every other day. Then HIDE the rest of the food. That way your well meaning friend will not feel sorry for your fish and over feed them while you are gone.

:)

Guest Tamiyaguy

I hate automated feeders, I've never had a real good experience with them. The food gets moist and gets stuck, or worse they dump a crapload of pellets in one shot. While I'm sure the technology has improved in the last few years, I've given up using them.

For a week long trip, I don't do anything. All healthy goldfish can fast for a week with no damage. The only noticable problem is some damage to plants inside the tank because they're hungry. They'll also eat algae if you have an abundance of it.

Two week trips, I have used feeding blocks in the past to help get food to them for a few days before the fast begins. However, even these are problematic sometimes. I've come home to find they didn't dissolve past the first little layer! Other times the block is too big or dissolves too fast for the number of fish in the tank. Lastly, you need to do a water change afterwards to get rid of all the dissolved material.

IF you really must, you can put in a few sacrificial plants for the fish to snack on. This is a much more reliable "feeder" than a block. The fish will probably eat them all in the first few days, though, and make a lot of waste in the tank......

sorry yokulx i know you had alot of replies but do you have a close freind or relitive that would give a care if your fish die?

Edited by doc.

oh, sorry. well i gues you can just cut all the lights of a and shade up the windows and they should go to sleep and when you get home you can slowly go back to your regular scudule(sp) :)

:) I think that for 10 days,live plants for them to munch on is definately the way to go. Elodea,Cabomba,are all pretty cheap plants and will give them something to do while they're waiting for your return. :lol:

IF you really must, you can put in a few sacrificial plants for the fish to snack on. This is a much more reliable "feeder" than a block. The fish will probably eat them all in the first few days, though, and make a lot of waste in the tank......

lol thats what i did when i went away for 7 days, i bought a cheap plant that i 'knew' they would eat (small leaves, i think it was anacharis) and came back and they havent touched it!!! it was nice to know they had something good to eat when i'm not there though, i'm sure if they were starving they would have eaten it, as they do nibble on it bit. I think they filled up on the tank algae, they r always munching on the ornaments!!