More Fry For Me

JenW

Thankyou BadBoyzon :D

Oh my, I just counted 45 fry :yikes

I don't know what happened but I did move some other plants that looked a little jaded into another tub - plants I had NO idea contained eggs. So I was going to empty my big tub of <ahem> rather dirty water when I noticed a mass of fry :thud So now I'm going to have to get one massive tank :o

I wonder how many will survive?

:unsure: Am I to understand that you now have 2 sets of fry?Did the plants come from the same tank as the first fry you found? 45????? :yikes:yeah: WHy do I have to live in Pittsburgh? :thud

Forgive me if I'm not understanding as I have barely slept a wink all night.

It does sound like more fry from the same tank Sharon. Not just you :)

Are there not supposed to be 2 or 3 batches of eggs from the same female- ?correct me if Im wrong there- all those babies and a new betta!!!You will be busy Jen! :lol: Pics soon please!

I'll be honest with you guys - even I'm confused :D I removed plants from 4 tanks that need a bit of reviving so it could be from any one of my 50 or 55 or 2 60's.... :yikes

I didn't get the betta because the one I wanted was sold as were my 3 other choices... apparently they're very popular :D So i'm still looking for that special little one to bring home :D

So now you're really going to keep us in suspense,,no? Any of the four tanks....Geez!!!!!!!!! We could have some real Mutts here! :ignore:rofl

Just kidding of course.I've never seen a Goldie that I couldn't love. :lol: I can't wait for the pics to start showing up! :heart

No, you're right Sharon - mutts will be everywhere :rofl But like you, i've always loved my mutts :D

I'm going to try and take some pics today, mind you - they all look the same but these ones seem to be growing faster than my first 3, i think it has something to do with the temperature. It's a good 20C in there at the moment but because it's still winter, green water isn't happening as fast as i'd like <_<

Lol Anette :D Well they're taking over my house :D

It looks like i've lost several .... but am about to do a waterchange on the tub to check... I don't know what this little group will be but will show pics as soon as they're big enough to make it interesting :D

:unsure: Any news on the fry?Did you really lose a few?

I was getting ready for work tonight and I saw my 75 gal. still had the tank lights on,so I went to turn them off before I left. To my surprise,I spotted a few eggs sticking on an Onion plant that had uprooted.I looked a little closer and saw about a dozen or so scattered.By this time I had to leave,so I have no idea who was up to the spawning,and I know there won't be any signs left by morning. :rolleyes: I'll just have to love and admire yours. :lol: I hope yours are okay.

Are you going to keep them Sharon? I think I'm going to have to either re-divide my tanks out to male/female dorms because I just don't have the room for more. I did a 90% waterchange on the outdoor tub and I think it had more to do with my ageing eyes - everytime i filled a bucket with the old water, about 10 or so would fill it. So there's still a good number there :D

I've just been down to my local aquarium and the manager said if I have any good specimens, he'd take them off my hands but I have a problem with this because I don't want them ending up in a bowl somewhere, or in an uncycled tank to wither and die (geez i'm morbid today) :blink:

As I was running so late,I had no time to even begin on thinking where to put them safely.That tank is a mixture ofgold fish too,so I have a feeling the egg dropper was the Little deformed fin Lionhead I was talking about in the other thread.As I've been working,I have no idea of whos been chasing her around. :lol: I think I will let nature take its course.When I get a chance,I'll try and keep an eye out for fry,but those guys don't miss anything,and probably didn't leave an egg.I'd love to raise a group of babies,but with all these baby Cories and Bristlenoses,I allready have 15 tanks up and running. :krazy: Yes,I will leave it to fate......

Won still isn't quite a 100% after that cory eating incident-nor is Marmalade swimming right yet either,so I think I'll just stick to getting them back to normal.Why do we always feel so obligated at saving the world????I felt soooooooooooo guilty leaving those eggs in the tank with the big fish. :(

You sound exactly like me - I sat there looking at all these fry and thought can I even cope with their numbers? But because the eggs hatched i was in a bit of a spot so shoved them outside... :blink:

How is Marmalade doing now? I hope she's on the mend :heart

I know what you mean about saving the world. I don't know if i mentioned it but a guy at work found a baby lorikeet and kept it in a box. I asked if I could take him to the vet so off to the vet we go. He told me everything looked ok , it just appeared as though he had a fractured wing but other than that he should heal and I was free to take him home. I ended up calling him Tyler and he was absolutely beautiful, but he didn't have any of the exuberance most young birds have. Anyhow, I went and brought a new cage and every toy I could scrape up enough money for, lots of rearing food and a cuddly blanket and set him up in the cage (it's getting easier to live without groceries i'm starting to discover) - this was 2 weeks ago. Each night I would take him out and just sit him on my lap where he would cheep up at me. This morning I found him dead on the bottom of the cage and only last night I had a strange premonition he wouldn't make it. I must've cried 10 buckets and yet I knew deep down he was never really mine - he was only on loan until he was finally set free. It always breaks my heart when this happens but does it stop us? No... :)

:cry1 Oh how awful Jen. I always forget that alot of the beautiful birds that we pay a fortune for here in the US.,fly free in your country.It didn't even dawn on me that the Lorikeet was wild. It's so hard to mend the wild ones. My daughter and I did once.It was a baby Pigeon of all things! :lol: See what our wild birds are! :lol: Anyway,we syringe-fed him until he was able to go off on his own,which was quite a few months.By the time this "baby" left,he was a full sized pigeon,and when he was freed,he stayed around for quite a while,sitting on our fence and pooping all over the place. :rofl He was the only wild one that we had any luck with.

Hey,can you send me a Cockatoo(one of my fav's) hee-hee

Just remember that you did what you could for the little one-what a shame.

Marmalade is still floating.Her belly still feels soft,but maybe not as soft as it was.I don't know....I've been hand feeding her for the past three days twice a day,with medicated food.She doesn't look or show any other signs or symptoms,so I guess it's a positive sign. I wish she'd quit floating though... :unsure: I just need her to get better quicker. I still don't know if it's eggs or bacterial.

That sounds like a bit of an improvement for marmalade :) I can't believe how stressful it is to watch your fish on its back, especially when it's hard to know why....

Sharon I'd love to send you a cockatoo but I just can't afford the $110,000 fine although i'm sure i'd eat better if i was thrown into jail for 10 years :rofl

Honestly Sharon - I'm not quite sure :blink: I ended up pinching this LCD torch from my mum because the only time I can look into the tub is when I get home from work and it's dark then. Also when I leave in the morning - it's fairly dark also. So I brought the torch home tonight and ended up spending a good 1/2 hour out there trying to see if I still have 30+ and I only counted 4 :( This torch is amazing - it gives a daylight hue through the tub and ..... well, it's fairly empty... I did find about 3 dead little bodies which I removed. When the weekend arrives, i'll get out there and do a good count (plus a waterchange) but i'm feeling a bit blah thinking i've managed to kill most of them :o

So i'll post back on Saturday and i'm really hoping a few have survived - after all, i got that freaking big tub for the little critters, the least they can do is survive :D

:blink: Aw Jen,that's a real bummer.I guess in the end though it's,good.The population is lessoned and only the strong survive.Still doesn't make things better though,does it? It's always hard to lose animals-especillay when you've barely seen them yet. Do you think it may be better bringing them indoors? :unsure:

I think it'd be much better but the only problem is while I have a spare tank, I've absolutely no room or electrical outlets to run filtation ect.. I've got the heater and airstone connected to the workshop outlet because it's close by...

I'm going to try and set up a greenwater tub using the empty 25 gallons. I've got some ammonia on hand so hopefully this will turn nice and green and will act as some sort of filtration. My brother bought me 3 of those sponge filters to connect up so I have to try and rig it up using one electrical outlet and pump and try one of the splitters... this way they'll have some kind of filtration :blink:

I honestly didn't think many would survive although I'd be happy if 8 did - especially if they're all different mutts :D

Well I just completed a waterchange in the tub and counted 17 fry - although I had to remove about 25 dead little ones :( I'm not sure if the plant I purchased for the tub caused some problems, it had the smell of sewerage so I pulled it out of the pot, rinsed and repotted it. About 50 of these feral little slugs came out of the roots - so they were removed also.

Now hopefully these little guys will hang in there - they're really so small still :blink: In fact, I put about 7 eggs in there 4 days ago and suspect these make up the smaller of the group... :D