Sign in to follow this  
wolfsong8

Stunted?

I have had my fantail, Feather, for a little over three months now, and I see no signs that she is growing at all. I've written about this before, but I am really worried about her. I read about other fish on here who seem to be growing like weeds, but mine shows no visible change. She seems okay health wise, and the water is good. I am concerend, though, becuae I read that other post about fish needing 20g. I only have a 10gal. I would love a 20gal, believe me, but we live in a small apartment, and there is no where I could put a 20 gal tank. I am hoping when we move into a house sometime next year I can upgrade to a MUCH bigger tank, and get a couple new fish, but for now I am stuck with the 10gal. Am I stunting Feather's growth? Is there anythign I can do? I want to give my fish the best life possible under the circumstances.

How big is she now? 10 gallons is the minimum for a fantail, enough for a fish of that type to grow. Are there any other fish in the tank? The 20 gallon rule usually applies to comets and commons. Her growth rate can be affected by water quality, diet, and genetics.

I bought a fish that was already stunted I think. He never really grew, he was only about 2.5-3 inches long...

How big is she now?

She is about 1 1/2in w/o tail. She is the only fish in the tank, and she has lots of open room to swim around in. COudl it be the water temp? It always seems a little cool to me.

Water temp can have some effect on a fish's growth, the lower the temperature, the slower they would grow. Higher temps can cause trouble with ammonia toxicity. A good temp for goldies is 68F to 75F degrees, anywhere in the range is good as long as it's relatively stable. My tanks are fairly stable at about 66-67 during the winter and around 76 degrees during the summer.

If you don't already have one, you may want to purchase an aquarium thermometer. They're are usually low priced and can help you keep an eye on temperature.

Edited by br553

If the fish is only 1.5" than a 10g should not stunt it. Tank size won't stunt a fish, water quality will. If you keep up with water chages you're fish will not get stunted. How often do you do water changes? What is your filtration and water quality like? What do you feed it? Young fish should get plenty to eat, several times a day and less as they get older. It could be that yours is just a slow grower, they do go through growth spurts. I have two ryunkins I have had for a year in the same tank. They get the same diet and treatment but one is double the size of the other. It varies. Larger fish can get stunted though, keep an eye on your fish when it gets larger. Once the fish reaches the 6" mark you will have to be religious about water changes otherwise your water quality will be compromised and the fish may stunt and get sick. It's not impossable to keep a goldfish in a 10g but it can be difficult once they get full grown. As for the 20g tank being out of the question, it does not need to be that way. I know you're space is limited but a 10g tank is 20" long...a 20g tall is 24", that's only a 4" difference. The big difference is in how tall the tank is, a 20g tall is 17" tall and a 10g is 12". A 20g tall is also only 2" wider, it's almost like having two 10g on top of eatchother. Though the floor space is not much different in the 20g tall the extra gallons really helps a lot. You won't have to do as many water changes or worry about stunting your fish.

EDIT: I should also add that stunting a fish is not easy, you would have to REALLY be neglecting the fish for that to happen.

Edited by sandtiger

Do you know how old your fish was when you got it? Occasionally there will be a well informed person at the lfs that will be able to answer this correctly. The first year of a goldfishes life is crucial. If the fish has been kept in less than perfect conditions during this time it will be stunted and not grow very much. It may be your fish was already a year old when you bought it.... I bought 2 fish that were already 2 years old I was told ! and those fish have not grown in spite of my efforts. I did some reading and learned about the first year growth spurt/stunt.

Spot my calico fantail is my oldest fish, I had her for 3 years and she is not the biggest. My orange oranda Peaches is 2 inches longer and wider and I had him for only two years. Spanky I believe is my stunted goldfish. Had him well over a year only grew one inch and every fish I bought after grew a lot bigger than Spanky. I think that he is my stunted goldie but also has the biggest personality. love them all :heart