Sign in to follow this  
YokulX

Folded Tail Fin

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a small red & white fantail and I noticed that one of his tail fins has a small fold? It's probably not harmful for him but I was just wondering would it eventually unfurl or remain like that the rest of his life?? I wish i could take pictures but unfortunately I don't have a camera. He looks very comical lol.

I have a fish the same. Its curled under. It was like that when I got him. The fish is very healthy and I have had him over a year and nothing has changed. It isn't something to worry about just makes him unique :)

Guest shappers

my lunar has a tail like you described - she was like that when i got her!! she is fine - no worries :)

That could be from an old injury.They also say that poor water quality can do that. I've bought a few with curled fins through the years,and I don't think one ever corrected itself. That's okay though,for I love them just the way they are. :heart:lol:

Yup Devs is right. I had one with one lobe of his lower caudal tail fin curled. It never went back but that was fine it gave him character

Yup Devs is right. I had one with one lobe of his lower caudal tail fin curled. It never went back but that was fine it gave him character

Ditto for me. Although I would prefer for it to correct, there's probably not much that could be done at this point. I figure as long as they don't have any swimming problems from it, they'll be just fine.

Guest valkyrie66

Could also be genetic... should have been culled. Personally I have a few gorgeous fish with this small 'defect' and since I neither breed or show them I don't really care.

Then there is my Merlin... the dragon eye calico fantail... she's a whole different story. The larger she gets the more outrageous she looks, most non-goldie people look at her and honestly freak out, lol. In addition to her severely curled tail and pectoral fins, she is also extremely lop sided. It looks like she swallowed a golf ball but it is only sticking out on one side (first I freaked, but it has been this way for several months and she's no worse for ware). As if this was not enough, one of her huge (and I mean huge) tele eyes has imploded and is now is now almost flush with her head except for two sharp 'points' that stick up but still move when she looks at things... naturally the other one compensated and grew even larger... :rofl She's a freak but I love her dearly. I have to try and get a recent picture...

Val

Guest Gemini528
I have to try and get a recent picture...

Hehe. I'd really like to see a picture of her. Every time my shubunkin had their fins fold up, they would open up a few days later. Yes, it's happened several times. I'm better at making sure their living conditions are at the best now. My fish are happy and healthy. :)

I love all my fish.Especially my Cyclops (one eyed through birth defect) he's so cool he's as tough as the rest and he shows it by getting to food before the rest as soon as I lift hood he's there.Your fish is unique just love her. :)

Edited by Blue

Swollen eyes can be caused by a bacterial infection. Popeye for example will swell one eye and then the other may get get it...the infection is under the eye and can be treated.

Guest goldfishgirl

My orange oranda has like a curled tail fin too not the whole tail but apart of it. I got him a little over a year ago and I didn't notice the curled fin until I got him home. I didn't think it was that big of a deal and figured it would heal on it's own with good water quality and a healthy diet but it never did. I have two filters and did water changes every 5 days for a few months but it didn't really seem to change his fin. It doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't bother him and it doesn't so you should worry too much about your fantails fin.

My Nan's Orange Oranda has a kink in his tail which he still has after two years. It doesn't seem to bother him. He's a very cute and friendly fish

My calico ryukin Ritz has a pectoral fin (front fin) that is folded in half. Sometimes he is able to unfold it but mainly stays folded. Love him either way.

I have a ryukin fringetail whose right caudal fin is folded. the tip of the supporting bone (?) also sticks out where the fin doesn't grow from it. It may be that when the fish was young, it had something happen and the fin tore from its support. What do you think? I, too, didn't notice the defect when I held it in my hands. I had to lift the fish from the small pond where it was kept and of course, the fins folds were just laying there in my hands. No way to judge from a side view, even though it was going into an aquarium. I hope never buy a side-view fish from a top-view pond again!

We have a calico fantail that has a tail fins that criss-cross each other. He's probably one of the ugliest GF I've ever seen - but that's why we like him!