Algae And The Barebottom Tank

goldenlady

I was thinking of going bare bottom, but now with the mention of algae covering the bottom, what's the point? At least with the gravel, I don't have the problem. I am vacuuming once a week. My tank sides are a different story. It has ugly brown algae growing happily (yuck!).

Should I begin using a chemical control? I was thinking of buying a medium magnetic algae cleaner. I've heard they work well. I can't stand the thought of cleaning the bottom, too, though. Anybody have a comment about how to control the algae better?

Is this algae acting like a place for the good bacteria to colonize? If I remove most of the gravel (let's say I leave some in the tank), will the rocks and ornaments, silk plants be able to support bacteria colonization? I have an Eheim 2213 cannister filter for a 30 gallon aquarium. I've been chucking out gravel a few cups at a time, and now I wonder if I am doing the right thing. ;)

I think the algae that is beneficial is green. I wipe off the brown and cultivate the green. It is a pain but once the tank gets more green the brown stuff gets less...

When you remove the gravel, the beneficial bacteria needs another place to hang onto. Yes, it will find spots on rocks and ornaments and such, but the biggest colony will always be in the filter, if you don't have gravel. So, to give the bacteria extra material, I'd stuff the filter full with additional media - that helps big time.

Also, never remove all the gravel at once! Do it in smaller steps, that way the tank doesn't get a huge shock from suddenly missing a gazzillion beneficial bacteria. It gives the colony a chance to setup tent someplace else.

I got used to bare bottom tanks pretty quickly. It is a lot less cleaning involved, considering how long it takes to really thoroughly vacuum that gravel every time. If you hate the look of bare bottom, you can go with those smooth black river rocks, and put a single layer of them loosely on the bottom. The black coloration also "hides" any brown algae. Try white rocks, and you'll see the brown gunk on there pretty quickly, while with black - well, its much harder to tell. :rolleyes:

I generally wouldn't recommend getting the algae under control with chemicals. I hate putting anything chemical into my tanks, no matter how "fish safe" they claim to be. I got a few otocynclus (I hope thats the right spelling... ahem...), those are basically mini algae eaters. Very timid, don't grow bigger than 1 1/2 inches, and leave the goldfish alone. I hardly see mine, they are always hanging out on pipes or rocks.

Yup i agree with Ranchugirl

I find that barebottom is great,it's so easy to maintain and its really nice when you add some river rocks or moonstones.

I have clear ones with blue zig zags in them kinda look like marbles,it make smy water look lilac.

You can get them at Dollorama,i baught 3 bags for a 60 Gallon.

heres what it looks like

000_0511.jpg

Now, THAT looks neat!! :heart Tell me, you hear them "playing soccer" at night? :rofl3

haha ranchu,yes i do,you hear the stones flying all over the place,it's like they never sleep.Thanks for the compliment by the way :)

Fishcrazy-Yeah i have had him for over a year and hes a great guy,he lost an eye from the same fish that is in the picture with him. The oranda is pretty big,he's about 6.5 iches and Bully the lionhead is about 4.5 inches.

That Oranda is so pretty Oranda Beauty! What happened? How did he lose his eye? Wow. I like the look of the bottom of your tank too! I have barebottom, I get brown algae, but I still prefer it to gravel - it's better, for so many reasons...

Archived