Help!big Mamma Is In Trouble

dengundam

Well we might need a little more info than that..

How big is your tank, how many fish are there, what filtration do you have?

I've found meds dont work (well the ones here, we cant get antibiotics), but i've had sucess with ick in my tropical tank by covering them up, leaving the lights off and increasing the temperature of the water to increase the lifecycle of the disease. I think i did something else too... hrmm.. it was many moons ago and i forget, maybe it was salt... someone else will know :) and will know if the meds in your area will work.

Well theres your problem in getting the ick in the first place. Alot of the time ick comes about because of stress and/or bad water. Having 6 fish in a 29gallon is way overstocked (you should have 3 max), you need to be doing about 40% water changes every few days just to keep the ammonia and whatnot down. We recommend 10gallons per fancy goldfish (usually the ones with double tails) and 15-20gallons per comet/common (usually have single tails).

Anyway onto treating the fellas, you need to get the water incheck otherwise it will more than likely come back. If you dont have (or cant afford) a bigger tank right now you can go grab some big plastic bins from your local department store, 20gallon ones go for around $10 or less (i'm assuming your in the US). At least then you can treat them as well as keep your water under control. Once everything has settled you can think about getting a bigger tank, or get a bigger tank now, or adopt some of the fish out :)

What is the filters filtration rate? It should say on it, or on the box it came with how many gallons, or litres per hour it filters, we at koko's recommend 10x filtration, so ideally in a 29gallon tank you should have a 290gallons/hr filter/s.

Edit: oh and also how long has the tank been set up? Have you added any new fish? If you have then the tank could be cycling (read around koko's for it if you dont know what it is) which adds even more stress onto the wee little fellas.

Edited by svendenhowser

for one thing you have 2x the amount of fish you should have. this adds stress to the fish which can trigger the outbreak. in a properly stocked tank you should be changing about 8 gallons a week. i cured my fishies from ick with quick cure and a bit of pickeling salt.

I'll be moving this to the disease section, where you can find all kinds of help.

Basically, every poster above just about covered the source of your problem, as well as the treatment. Salt is the best and cheapest, but not ordinary cooking salt. You can use rock salt, solar salt, or aquarium salt. Anything that says salt as their only ingredient on the package. Most cooking salts have anticaking agents in there that are toxic to fish.

The rate is one teaspoon per gallon of water, dissolved in a bucket of tank water first, and then poured into the tank slowly, away from the fish. That gets you up to a 0.1 % solution. Wait 12 hours, do the same thing again, and then after yet another 12 hours do the last dosage. That is a 0.3 % salt solution added slowly to your tank over time.

No need to mention the overcrowding anymore, Swendenhowser has offered you some nice solutions for it. :)