Guppy's

Guest Aimless

You cant cycle a tank unless you have a source of ammonia or you take some media from an established set up and add it to the new media, but again you will need a source of ammonia to keep everything ticking over.

You can get bacteria in a bottle but that is hit and miss as to whether or not it actually works.

If you have an established filter thats ready to move over then that will work as well, as will having a cycled filter sitting next to a new one.

Hope that made sense as its really late/early here

Hang on...................... are you sure that's a 5 gallon tank? it's identical to my 2.5 gallon minibow. :unsure:

I have those same tanks for Bettas-half of them are 5gallon,the rest are 2 and a half gallons. :lol:

Guest Aimless

well.....my cycle was fishless...but I had bought a new filter last week and about 3 or 4 days ago I put it in the fishless tank to let the water cycle through it.....and I had added 2 silk plant from my goldie tank last night.....

So you used an old filter to cycle the new one without adding any fish?

You have to keep a supply of ammonia going through the tank or the bacteria that feed on ammonia will die off.

I think your tank will need cycling again.

Guest Aimless

OKay....well I bought my guppies last night and I put them in with my sisters 4 guppies .....she has a 20 gallon...with only 4 guppies, and I think like 3 neons....she is just starting into the fish thing...she had a female betta but she gave her to me.....so last night I bought 4 guppies....They are so cute!!!!....and they will be staying down the hall with my sister until my tank is cycled...!! Here are some pictures of them...I got 2 black tailed ones and I got 1 orannge tail and one orange tail with spots...!!

GUPPIES.jpg

Guest Aimless

yea...I bought a 10 gallon .....well I had it in storage...but I set it up about 4 days ago and Im letting it cycle....so I guess the 5 gallon will be a breeding tank!

As you didnt listen to what I said maybe you will listen to this. You seem to have 1 female and 3 males. At this ratio your female will be killed in a short time by the males trying to continuously breed with her. If your sister has males and females then see if you can swap one of her males for the female.

Or at least get two or three more females

Guest Aimless

well I have 2 females and 2 males....I have one orange girl and one black girl and the other are males....and my sister has 2 males and 3 females......is that bad????

For the good of the fish, I would not mix the sexes. See if you can convince your sister to keep all the girls or all the boys. You'll most likely end up with harrassment and lots of babies in too small of a tank if you don't.

Yep, I found that out the hard way. At first I had a 5 gallon hex tank with 2 females and 1 male. One of the females died, but the second one has already had 2 groups of fry. About a week ago I had to get a larger tank to house my new guppy family. They seem to really enjoy the extra swimming room.

For the good of the fish, I would not mix the sexes. See if you can convince your sister to keep all the girls or all the boys. You'll most likely end up with harrassment and lots of babies in too small of a tank if you don't.

Now that's a good idea.

Guest Aimless

Okay...well my sister is going to keep the girls and I will keep the boys they all get along fine..so I don't think that will be a problem....will it?

Your guppies should be fine, but one of them will probably be a little stressed due to dominance issues. You could probably squeeze in a third male guppy, but any more is definitely pushing it. I have 2 male guppies in my 6 gallon planted tank, the larger one postures with his dorsal fin rased and swims in a shaking motion to assert his dominance over the smaller guppy. Posturing doesn?t usually go on for very long its usually under a minute, and neither fish is ever harmed. My guppies don?t posture very often most of the time they get along and seem rather content, especially when they graze on algae. :D

the larger one postures with his dorsal fin rased and swims in a shaking motion to assert his dominance over the smaller guppy.

Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one to recognize that as dominance. My black neons do that. I know its partially my fault because I've only got 5, but no one is stressed of hurt. Do your guppies tilt too? The more dominant tetra will tilt its dorsal toward the other, and that one will tilt its dorsal away. So the two fish end up tilted but parallel to eachother. I swear, with this and my tail biting betta, I'm going to end up a fish behavioralist :rolleyes: It is pretty interesting though...Can you imagine a job like that? Watching fish interact with eachother all day lol.

Edited by Kissy