New Snack For My Goldies

Guest Aimless

Guest Aimless

I found these weird looking things from nooppee they are in a cube and my goldies LOVE htem as a treat they jsut tear them apart...ya'll should try it ..I tryed the bloodworms but neither my goldfish catfish or bettas like them but they LOVE the new tubifex worms!

Ummm there was a thread in the goldfish food section a few months ago that said that tubifex worms are sometimes bred in raw sewege?!?(not sure) And also that some members have noticed some of their goldfish dieing or getting sick after feeding it a few times......

Edited by goldfishlover10

Guest Aimless

really OMG.....are you sure.....I love my goldies and I have had them for a year now Im really sad I hope they dont die.....I will feel so bad!!! :(

Guest shappers

really? well i have fed my goldies tubifex for months and i hve not had a problem!! where did the info about being bred in raw sewage come from? is it just urban legend stuff - how reliable is it? is it all products - cus in the UK whre i live i buy the *reaching for the tub* 'king british' - my local brand!

Yep Tubifex worms don't feed them.To much risk involved feeding them.Parasites etc.Try feeding bloodworm,brine shrimp or daphnia.Mine go mental for brine shrimp.I buy Tetra fresh delicia Bloodworm,brine shrimp or daphnia its in a vitamin rich gel as well.

Edited by Blue

I fed freeze dried Omega One tubefex worms. I have not had any problems. I also searched the net to find the info about being raised in sewers or fish deaths because of it. Have not found a thing. When I do Ill post it.

dont feed them dont feed them dont feeeed them!

Mine went in the bin last night. They were also the 'King Bristish' dried tubifex.

We dont know for sure whether they have made my fish ill, but it is certainly a possibility right now.

Tubifex worms are nicknamed "sewer worms," because they do have a propensity to breed freely in sewage. This does not mean, however, that what you are getting are worms bred in sewage and full of bacteria and disease. They can just as easily be bred in safe environments and a good producer/manufacturer will ensure that the product is sterile and safe for consumption. Tubifex worms are an EXCELLENT source of protein for your goldies and, as long as you are buying the product from a tried and true manufacturer, you should have no problems.

Okay, Tubifex worms ARE bred in sewage. Most people and websites are not aware of this, and honestly, do you think the worm breeders or food companies would want to advertise that? Besides, fish don't live in sewage so tubifex aren't even natural food for them. Parasites and bacteria in this type of worm is a greater risk than with other foods. Its only a risk, but why would you want to risk that? There are plenty of other protein-rich foods that are much safer. Sandy posted a link to an article from one of the UK's leading aquarium magazines discussing how tubifex were bred and the risks of disease, so that's pretty reliable information.

I used to use the freezedried tubifex and recently I used some frozen. I don't know how risky it is to do it but I won't buy them again, most of my fishes didn't like them anyway. There are plenty of other frozen foods out there like brine shrimp, daphnia, plankton, bloodworms, squid and others.