Algae Eater Babys

hi all i have a problem i have 3 algae eaters one of my ornamets is a sunk pirate ship i see too alge eaters all the time outside but always suspects that theres one in the boat i hope its not dead but i fear it might of lady eggs and the male is gaaurding them i am not sure i don't what to risk losing eggs by taking the boat out???? ps do algae eater lay eggss????

What kind of algae eaters are they? There are many species ;) You definately don't want a dead fish polluting your tank, so just gently lift the boat and look inside. All the algae eaters I can think of do lay eggs, but as along as you are careful, and there are eggs, they should be fine.

Not too much has been said about breeding Algae Eater's,It seems to be a very rare occurance in captivity,and most times happened without the owner knowing why/how/when/ They are egg layer's,but from what I've read,I don't think they guard them.I would suspect them to be more like Cories,and scatter their eggs.

I had an Algae Eater for over 8 years that liked hiding in a cave.They prefer planted tanks with lots of hidey holes,so chances are that the one in the ship may just feel more secure in there.Do you do regular water changes and gravel vac's on this tank? If you do,make sure you lift the ship and gravel vac under it because the muck tends to build up under ornaments like that.

If I were you,I'd lift the boat up to make sure that the fish isn't dead or sick.Chances are if you move it,and he's okay,he'll come flying right out of there. :lol:

I am going to assume that your algae eaters are plecostomus. All of them do lay eggs, and the males of most species will guard them. Unless your plecos are bushynoses though chances are you don't have eggs or fry. Most pleco species are very difficult to breed in captivity. Many such as the common pleco dig pits in the mud on river banks, something that cannot be done in a tank. Bushynoses, and a few other will spawn in caves though. PVC pipe, flowerpots or a sunken plastic ship will all work for this but again, unless it's a bushynose you won't have any eggs.

I didn't assume that your Algae Eater's were Pleco's.I assumed that they were Siamese Algae Eater's/Chinese Algae Eater's etc. and if you are talking about Pleco's then Sandtiger is correct,they do infact guard their eggs.Could you show us a pic or clarify what sort of Algae Eater you have?

By the way,please do not start another thread asking the same questions as you are on this one,as it only confuses people.I'm deleting the other,thanks. :)

yes they are i moved the boat but he still didn/t come out it took a while before and he stayed close to the boat i beleive he is gauring the eggs

Yes they are plecos or yes they are bushynoses? Becuase if they aren't bushynoses you probably don't have eggs.

yes they are pelcos i remember now that i had a larger pelco in with a small one but suddenly it died. it was perfect and my mother said she saw the large one in the morning that it died but when i came home it was dead. but yes its a pelco i had to shake the boat for a while till he came swimming out as soon as i but the boat sown it when inside again and hasn't left