To Get A Pond Should I?

dengundam

Hi all i was wondering i havea 30 gallon tank and a 16 but now i want a pond in the back yard but my moter is afraid that a cut my kill the fish any help should i get a pond?????

There are ways/means to help protect a pond from that happening.If I were you though,I'd do Alot of Research on it to see the best way to go about it all. :) There are more than cats that can be Predators.

Yes, do some research on what predators you have in your area. If you want a large koi pond you have no worries for cats because your sides should be straight down and your depth (depending on your area) should be at least 3 feet. So you can build your pond with the predators in mind. Of course there is also the trappem method ;)

Scott

Guest saffyre75

I loved my in-laws pond when I first saw it, but WOW Scott....your pond is just gorgeous! How old are your koi and how big are they? My in-laws have between 2-3 yr old koi and 1 year old comets and shubunkins, Id say thier koi are around 12" and the GF are about 6".

On that note I agree with Scott about the depth of the pond makes a good differance, my in-laws have 2 ponds connected with a waterfall, top one (frog pond) is 3 feet deep and the bottom (koi) is 5 feet deep. They are very smart when it comes to hiding as long as its deep enough and will definatly know when a cat or dog are around, birds are a differant story, but I read on here about heron statues to help with that.

Thanks, I hadn't updated that site in a long time. That pond is a little different now. I built a pagoda over the pond, now there is a pumphouse next to it plus added onto the patio. I did post a thread on here someplace on all the new additions. On a sadder note it's not my pond anymore. I moved three months ago. I don't have a pond now :( . Anyhow the fish are now from 1 to 7 years old. Three of them are almost 3 foot long. I plan on building a pond where I've moved so I can get some of my fish here but just haven't had time or money.

(Didn't mean to hijack your thread dengundam)

Scott