Sand Or Gravel?

Guest shappers

Guest shappers

ok im confsed - i know a million posts like this exist all over kokos...but i still dont know

i hear that sand is bad and can get caught in the gills - but my loaches love love love sand!! i think sand cleans quite easily - but other ppl say gravel cleans more easily!!

i have sand now - and it looks great - and i once had gravel and hated it - maybe this time i will get gravel that is made from those tiny (well small) pebbles!!

so what are the cons of gravel? and the pros of sand? are there any of each?

Sand really isn't a good idea for goldies as they like to take it into their mouth and sand can cause all sorts of problem with the gills but also sand is calcium-rich which will encourage your pH to rise to unhealthy levels.

You can get some lovely white substrate which not only looks good but isn't a health hazzard for your goldies :)

Guest shappers

ok i just been looking on the net and i found something...

"Gravel is available in a range of sizes from 'pea' gravel to fine (2-3mm) size. It is also available in many colours and textures in addition to the 'natural' gravel. Pea-sized gravel is probably the most commonly employed; larger sizes can allow debris to fall between the stones where it will decay and affect water quality."

now my last gravel i used was this horrible sharp jagged edged stuff - but i do like the sound of the pea sized gravel - can it really affect the water? i changed and gravel vac every week!

Some gravel can be more difficult to clean. A deep layer of larger pebbles have larger gaps between them, where the waste can accumulate. It is not always the easiest thing to get the gravel vacumn to move through the gravel if it is 1/2 in in diameter or so.

Pebbles of 3/4 inch diameter and smaller easily will fit in a goldies mouth. Since they are bottom feeders and like to root around, they will pick up the pebbles and move them around. Sooner or later, you will read of a goldie who has gotten a pebble stuck in their mouth. They cannot eat, sink to the bottom, and need immediate help. It is a VERY common problem. It has happened to me. It has happened to nearly all goldie keepers if you have the fish and the pebbles long enough.

Because of this, many recommend that you have pebbles larger than 3/4 inch diameter. At least 1 inch diameter is good, but in the case of my fish - I would be hesitant to go under 2 inches. Goldies can and will jam just about anything they can into their mouths. It never ceases to amaze me at how large an object a goldfish will swallow (or attempt to swallow).

Because if this, I have gone "bare bottom" as do many others. I haev some large decorative stones, various plants and other deco in the tanks. But no substrate. It stays extraordinarily clean, I know it is VERY clean when I vacumn it, there are no stones for the goldies to clack on the glass at 2 am and no stones that get stuck in their mouths. I like it. You may not. But it is another alternative you may wish to consider.....

:)

If you'd asked me even just a few weeks ago, I would have said gravel is easy to keep clean. I've always had gravel in my tanks and I used to hate the look of bare bottom tanks. I'm slowly coming around to the idea that any kind of substrate is hard work to keep clean. Of course, I think you do need to cater for the environmental needs of the fish you are keeping to some degree. I'm thinking very hard about having a bare bottom goldie tank when I eventually set up a larger tank :)

Guest shappers

barebottom tanks eh? they sound...(i dont want to offend anyone here)...but boring. Well, my tank sits on a table, so if i had a barebottom tank i would just see the foam padding underneath my tank. Does the angle of glass and water create a mirror effect? i also have real plants - wihich i really like to help my water - so barebottom means no plants right?

i will defo consider it...thank you for the tips...i am thinking of getting the inch gravel - sounds like it might suit my tank. it you are right - it is amazing how much my goldies try to put all sorts in their mouths...silly things!

:) I have a happy medium.I have some bare bottom and some gravel.Gravel is best when used at a minimal amount.As for sand,I advise not to use it with Goldfish because of their scavenger ways,but I'll tell you that my Tropical fish love it-especially the loaches. :lol:

barebottom tanks eh? they sound...(i dont want to offend anyone here)...but boring. Well, my tank sits on a table, so if i had a barebottom tank i would just see the foam padding underneath my tank. Does the angle of glass and water create a mirror effect? i also have real plants - wihich i really like to help my water - so barebottom means no plants right?

From my understanding of it, a bare bottom tank certainly does not have to look broing. Have a look around the site and you will see lots of members bare bottom tanks or partially bare bottom tanks as Devs says.

You can still have some types of live plants, but they need to be fixed to rocks or bogwood or potted. You can still have ornaments and fake plants but anchored down in other ways. I think I like the idea of maybe a small area of gravel for the goldies to root around in, as well as some larger river pebbles. It's all down to personal taste I suppose :)

I have barebottom tanks and didnt look boaring at all :) i added some nice moon stones and then i baught two little glass vases and put some plants in each one. Gravel is a pain in the butt if you ask me,you have a greater chance of deseases forming,and higher risk of amonia too,but i have nothing against it either.

Guest shappers

i regret using the workd 'boring' - sorry :( i said i did not want to offecnd anyone!! but mrbumblebee was right - it is all down to personal taste! i am considering it now tho lol - i will have a good think...

I only use sand in my marine tanks.My other tanks have got smooth pebble type gravel.

i regret using the workd 'boring' - sorry :( i said i did not want to offecnd anyone!! but mrbumblebee was right - it is all down to personal taste! i am considering it now tho lol - i will have a good think...

Don't worry! You have not offended anyone! This is an interesting discussion. People will always have different views because this kind of thing comes down to personal taste and what people want their tanks to look like, as well as the practical considerations like cleaning :)

My 100 gallon has always been barebottom and I wouldnt have it any other way!! I have some large flat pebbles scattered around for interest, and I put black paper underneath my tank so you can't see through it. I also have some fake plants anchored down by driftwood and I glued pebbles to the bases to keep them down.

Somewhere on here you'll find pics of my tank and I think it looks nice. ;) And like the others said, it is SO easy to keep clean.

The only tank I ever had sand in (aside from my saltwater tank) was a tropical planted tank and it looked great.

Archived