Rotted Mouth

Guest coolreflections77

Guest coolreflections77

The mouth on my friend's gold fish seemed to have rotted away. The poor baby wants to eat but is unable to get food through what was a mouth. There's also a black discoloration near it's right gill. Eventually it will die of starvation. It's a young fish about an inch half in size. This is my friend's first attempt at keeping an aquarium and he's vowed never to keep one again should his fish die. I did mention the topic of euthanasia but at the moment he doesn't see it as an option. The gold fish shares a 2 1/2 gal tank with an oranda of the same size. Anyone with a diagnosis/treatment? :(

Hi there coolreflections77 and :welcome

It's hard to help when we don't have any information but just off the top, mouth rot (or columnaris) is a gram negative bacterial infection that needs a few things for a possible cure:

1. Excellent water quality, so doing waterchanges daily will help at this time. It's also important to match both the temperature and ph exactly and use a good dechlorinator

2. Avoiding an overcrowded tank situation - ie. having a good 10+ gallons of water per fish

3. If the water quality is excellent, getting an antibacterial med that treats gram negative flexibacter columnaris would be his best chance. Also he can add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon (sea, rock or aquarium salt - any kind that contains no additives) to help with the actual rot

Is he able to get any meds?

Guest coolreflections77

Thank you for the diagnosis and suggestions, JenW. I will purchase the meds and items for my friend and go over with him on what he needs to do. Hopefully we can save his little baby. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, again.