Shrimp?

snowman

umm the ones i saw i forgot the name of it.. but the shrimps were all clear looking maybe white.. umm they were about two inch big or a little bigger..? i think they were ghost shrimp..

Edited by snowman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I had a shrimp that dragged a goldie accross the stones I removed him immediately, bristlenose pleocs are sweet to have in the tank

What kind of shrimp did you have a Giant....Most shrimps are small the biggest one I have seen is the Bambo shrimp and they dont have claws persay they have two claws that open like flowers to capture food like a feather duster.....

I would love to see a photo or the name of this shrimp that could drag a fish :yikes

I actually had a 1 inch ghost shrimp drag a 2 and a half inch goldfish right across the tank with ease. The goldfish was sick though, a shrimp couldn't have got ahold of a happy halibut.

I was so angry i put the shrimp with my betta for dinner. This betta had a ridicoulisly long tail which made him a very slow swimmer.. And this monster of a shrimp grabbed the betta's tail and started chewing on it... I was really, really pi**ed this time and i grabbed the thing and pulled it out of the water and i left it on the table for about 5 seconds. :ignore Then, i just threw him in to a seperate bowl of water. Stupid shrimp, i've never, ever had a shrimp like this one before.

Btw, the goldfish that the shrimp attacked died a few days later.. probably wasn't the shrimps fault though.

Edited for language

Edited by Devs

Ryu, I doubt that was a ghost shrimp unless it had been sneaking 'roids or something...Their claws are only about 1mm long and not that powerful at all. Could it have possibly been a baby of a larger more predatory shrimp or crawfish? I've read that many young look like ghosties. That is very odd though...even if it was a different species, I find it unbelievable for such a tiny crustacean to clamp on to a fish, even if it wasn't big either. I'm sorry about your fish though :( You other guys too. That is just so strange...

Hmmm, that could be... Their are some websites that have shrimps that look exactly like ghost shrimps yet are listed as larger species. The shrimp grabbed the fins of the fish not the body. That shrimp was also the biggest one i bought out of six. I'll definitely be more careful next time i buy shrimps.

Guest Tanger

i have amano shrimp and there doin fine... my tanks very big and its planted ....... they just hang out in the plants, filter heads, or driftwood.. no casualties... yet... lets not count on it though

• Admin

the bamboo shrimp i think is a better choice if your looking to have a shrimp.....

They are filter feeders and they can get to 3-4" long..... They really dont have claws that can hurt a goldfish.... Take a look :D

http://wrongcrowd.com/gallery/aq-critters/shrimp_feeding