Iodine Question

Dory

Hi, my fish has a small fungus on it's tail. the water params are fine and everything, but I just had a question about treating it with iodine. The problem is I only have a bottle of iodine that says "10% Providone/Iodine solution USP", and besides not being just pure iodine I think it is kinda old. It looks like it was a perscription for somthing as it has some sort of paper label on it.Will it still work? I hope the providone part doesn't harm the fish. I also don't really know where to find just pure iodine.

Hi Dory - you can get iodine from most pharmacies, either that or Hydrogen Peroxide. I have used HP on my fish whenever there's a bit of fungus/fin rot and it works well.

I wouldn't use the one you have there because they do have a shelf-life, especially if you're not sure how old it is :)

Are you going to salt your tank to 0.1%? This may help your fish also...

I already tried salting to a .3% solution, but it didn't help at all, surprisingly. I'll try the Hydrogen peroxide, I do have some of that. thanks for the help!

Ok I applied the hp by soaking a cotton ball with it an then gently pressed onto her tail. the fungus seems to be shiny now, like sort of a metalic tint right after I applied the hp, wierd. Anyway, I also put some melafix in there just in case. Also I'm going out of town for a week today, so I hope she will be okay wile I am gone. I am of course having someone feed her while I am gone. Just wanted to give an update, thanks for the help!