Battery Operated Air Pumps

MY electricity went out a couple of weeks ago for 8 hours. Does anyone have experience with a battery operated portable airpump? What consitutes a good one? I noticed that there is a difference in price between a Deep Blue Hurrican pump and a Hagen pump. I have a 30 gallon tank, is one enough?

I do not know what type I have - it is a cheap little blue thing that was sold at vvvv for about 10 bucks. I have 3 of them.

I suppose that, in a pinch, one would do a 10 or 15 gallon tank that is in good water parameters and not tooooo hot. It pumps air - the equivilant of one small airstone. That is minimum needed for a smaller tank. Mine only lasts for about 2 hours or so on 2 C cells. I have a stack of batteries....

For a 30, particularly one that is fully stocked or when the temps are a bit higher, I would recommend 2.

I have gone a different route now. I bought the battery backup units that are made for computers and such. The ones I have are rated for 72 hours - one battery will run all the filters and air features in multiple tanks. I have one for each 4 tanks. - I bought 4 of them. They cost about $75. though. With these, they automatically cut in - the filters do not even lose prime.

Thanks Daryl,

Boy, $75 for those battery backup units! Sounds wonderful, but is rather daunting. But you also have a lot of tanks and fish and a lot of money invested in livestock. Darned inconvenient for the electricity to go out!

Archived